UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xenon

Red cube 7 x 7 x 7 cm, inscription S.P.Q.R. NERV TRAIAN VII CONS.

Red cube 7 x 7 x 7 cm having the inscription "S.P.Q.R. NERV TRAIAN VII CONS."

I have seen a small red cube made of polished stone, possible marble. It had, on one face, an inscription reading something like this:

S.P.Q.R.
NERV TRAIAN VII CONS.

I do not remember exactly all the words so I could miss three of four but anyway the inscription was short.

As far as I know the cube was found buried in the ground in the yard of an Orthodox church situated close to the inferior course of river Danube, about 100 - 120 years ago, during renovation work.

Question: Have you ever heard about similar cubes made during Roman Empire? Is there any link over the internet where I can find pictures with cubes like the one described above?

UPDATE, December 2015

I am finally able to post two pictures of the real cube:

1) Front - lateral view

https://app.box.com/s/gogtrtu03s05qe7w1a9usc58eitiqoiw

2) Front view 

https://app.box.com/s/engxlcawv19yjdemtluxm28m294dre5n

Edited by xenon

I can't say that I have come across any similar inscribed stones but if coins are anything to go by I suspect the wording may have included some or all of the following:

MARCUS ULPIUS NERVA TRAJANUS CRINITUS COS III (alternatively possibly either COS IIII or COS V) PP).

The 'CON' or more commonly 'COS' designation indicates the number of times he had been elected or as Emperor declared himself consul, I believe that Tajan's final tally was five times.

Pure speculation but I suppose it is possible that if the cube was marble and I am correct about the wording then it may originally have been used as a plinth or base for a small bust or statue of the Emperor. If so there may have been some indication on the cube face above the inscription of where the bust or statue had been attached.

The cube looked like this:

Cube.JPG

https://sites.google.com/site/minisatellites/cube/Cube.JPG

The letters were yellow, carved in the body of the cube using something thin like a needle and they were filled with some yellow material, possible wax.

The cube was well polished and there was no indication that it once had something on it, for instance a bust.

Note: I repeat, I do not remember the inscription exactly.

Somebody reading the text translated it quickly in:

"The Senate and the Roman People decided to make emperor Nerva Trajanus consul, for the seventh time." But again I do not remember the exact words, precisely.

Edited by xenon

Note: I repeat, I do not remember the inscription exactly.

Somebody reading the text translated it quickly in:

"The Senate and the Roman People decided to make emperor Nerva Trajanus consul, for the seventh time." But again I do not remember the exact words, precisely.

If you have remembered the inscriptions at all accurately then the translation makes sense:

SPQR equates to Senatus Populusque Romanus - The Senate and Roman People

Imp Nerv Traian - Emperor Nerva Trajan

cos - Consul with VII possibly indicating this object dates towards the end of his lifetime as he was apparently made consul for the sixth time in 112 AD and died in 117 AD.

N.b. I am not sure that Trajan was ever formally declared consul for a seventh time but someone else may be able to confirm that point.

I do also wonder at how small this object is if, as you indicate, it is a cube only 7cm/ approx 3 inches across. The small size and possibly polished surface would seem to argue for it being intended for an internal 'domestic' setting or use rather than being part of a monumental structure for public display.

Yes, the cube does not seem to have been a part of a monumental structure. Most probable it is something equivalent with a modern jubilee medal (just a speculation).

Anyway, I do not believe the cube is singular. Similar cubes should have been discovered in various places across Europe.

cos - Consul with VII possibly indicating this object dates towards the end of his lifetime as he was apparently made consul for the sixth time in 112 AD and died in 117 AD.

I can confirm 6 times:

100 - 101 (let's count that as 2)

So the 'VII' is a proper mystery!

I have more information now.

The inscription is like this:

S.P.Q.R

IMP. CAES. DIV

NERV. F. TRAIA.

IMP. VI. COS. P.

OK I think this should be translated as:

S.P.Q.R IMP. CAES. DIV NERV. F. TRAIA - The Senate and people of Rome

to the Emperor Caesar Trajan son of the [deceased and now] deified Emperor Nerva

IMP. VI. COS. P - proclaimed Imperator 6 times, elected consul 3 times, [i suspect the single P is an abbreviation for PP for Patri Patriae so the final bit will be] Father of the Nation