UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Need help with my Latin lessons

Gladius Hispaniensis

Ave

I just purchased and am working on Wheelock's 6th edition. Translating English to Latin is a lot harder than vice versa. For some reason the answers to exercise questions are not given. I am trying to translate the following sentence:

You ought not to praise me

I am translating this as Non debit me laudar.

Is this correct?

1 Non necesse est quod me laudes.

It's not necessary that you praise me.

2 Non bonum est quod me laudes.

It's not good that you praise me.

3 Tibi oportet non me laudare.

It behooves you not to praise me.

4 Non debes me laudare.

You ought not praise me.

It's been a very long time since my last Latin

class. Let's see what other members can provide.

Edited by Ludovicus

Wait! Wait! I'm not 100% of the correctness of my translations. We need other opinions.

I can't find my books right now, but there's a question I had regarding the object pronoun and the infinitive...I wasn't sure if the object pronoun could be placed in between the conjugated verb and the infinitive. I am pretty sure it can be done, but I wasn't 100% positive. It could be done in certain situations, as if to mark where the dependent clause starts--I think?

Here's one that's really pissing me off:

Non poterant, igitur, te de poena amicorum tuorum heri monere.

Any suggestions?

Easy. Too easy, so I'll just start you off with the kernel. Get it?

Non poterant monere te de ....

"They were unable, consequently, to warn you yesterday about the punishment of your friends."

What is the source of this quote?

If it's Wheelock, the book is a standard textbook. Just dump the whole sentence into Google, and an English translation will pop up. Here's the rest of the exercise with answers below each sentence. http://lindenbranch....s/archives/4433

Remember also that Google does a moderately bad job of turning Latin into English and vice versa. But its a helpful guide. Running this sentence through their translator gives

'They could not, therefore, you about the penalties of your friends yesterday of admonition.'

Since the verb is missing between 'therefore' and 'you', and 'of admonition' is hanging around doing nothing at the end of the sentence, its easy enough to correct where G. went wrong. Then change 'of' to 'to' and Robertus patruo tuus est.

Thanks, Maty, for taking me back more years than I care to remember, when we had a very 'old-school' O-Level maths teacher by the name of Mr McLellan. He used to use "Quod Erat Demonstrandum" and "Robertus Patruo Tuus Est" (or something spookily similar, can't remember what, exactly) in fairly equal measure. I'm not sure how good his Latin actually was. He also used to say "Auris Porci" and "Porcis Auri" (as in "you've made a right Porcis Auri of that, OfClayton. Do it again boy!") in fairly equal measure, so I'm not sure he knew which was correct.

Nor, incidentally, do I.

Google helps in translating Latin to English but what about vice versa? There are many exercises where translation from English to Latin is required.