Coming up next . . . .

I'll start the ball rolling with:

"Becoming Roman".

Channel: BBC Radio 3

Date: Sunday, 24th October

Time: 2130 BST for 45 mins

Episodes: 2

Link: BBC Radio 3

Historian Bettany Hughes looks at our first contacts with the Romans and how people loved or resented their new overlords. Our relationship with the Romans used to be a cosy one - once we saw them as our fellow imperialists who civilised 'us natives', and a jolly good thing too. Even now that some of that 'special relationship' has persisted. We love discoveries of forts and towns and baths, and we're lot less impressed by a nice British round house. Yet perhaps 97% of our ancestors would have been living in those roundhouses, many of them turning up their noses at Roman culture beyond the odd bit of bracelet or pottery.

<more>

It will no doubt be available on the iPlayer.

If anyone from outside this green and pleasant land would like me to record it for them, speak up.

I'll start the ball rolling with:

Historian Bettany Hughes looks at our [?] first contacts with the Romans and how people loved or resented their new overlords [???]. Our relationship with the Romans used to be a cosy one - once we saw them as our fellow imperialists [?] who civilised 'us natives', and a jolly good thing too. Even now that some of that 'special relationship' has persisted. We love discoveries of forts and towns and baths, and we're lot less impressed by a nice British round house. Yet perhaps 97% of our ancestors would have been living in those roundhouses, many of them turning up their noses at Roman culture beyond the odd bit of bracelet or pottery.

<more>

I used to really respect Bettany Hughes work. It seems her work has become increasingly politically motivated, however.

So help me with this one. These nasty "imperialists" (the Romans) are the blood ancestors of many in Britain. Why are the Romans vilified, while those "peace-loving" Ancient Celts are admired and respected?

The Ancient Romans were not the invading Spanish Armada, Napoleonic French, or the evil German Nazis. They were not even the later and more destructive Angles, Saxons, Jutes, or Frisians. (And how did the invasion of these Germanic barbarians turn out for everyone? I guess there's nothing like a few centuries of darkness and brutality.)

So enough of this Roman bashing. :rolleyes: We should all embrace our Greco-Roman heritage and stop this historical revisionism.

I frequently ask my daughter which would she prefer: Visiting her father's Ancient Roman ancestors, relaxing in their heated baths, and enjoying sumptuous meals...or visiting her mother's ancient ancestors who slept in mud huts, made human sacrifices, and put rancid butter in their hair. :lol:

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

So help me with this one. These nasty "imperialists" (the Romans) are the blood ancestors of many in Britain. Why are the Romans vilified, while those "peace-loving" Ancient Celts are admired and respected?

I'll let you know on Monday.

I've been a harsh critic of Ms. Hughes before:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10863

Please be sure to view on my post the embedded program by Hughes about those peaceful Moors in Spain and their horrible predecessors (the Visigoths) and their hateful successors (the Spanish and their Inquisition). Take note of which site hosts the video. I will say no more. I think I look better with an attached head. :o

guy also known as gaius

Why are the Romans vilified, while those "peace-loving" Ancient Celts are admired and respected?

Because the Celts were not apt to build cities and instead revere trees, and because they treated their womenfolk with a slim degree more of social freedom than the Romans, they have become a convenient facade for those looking for an "other" to perceived patriarchal, industrialized Western civilization. I've met more than one Green Party activist who builds up the Celts as the original eco-feminists. An entire pseudo-religion grossly misnamed as Celtic has grown up around it.

Or at least that is how it is over here in the states. Those of you closer to Celtic countries have probably seen the other version of the Celtophile - those who believe in the Celts as a long lost golden race, which is then used to justify modern nationalism in Celtic countries.

So enough of this Roman bashing. rolleyes.gif We should all embrace our Greco-Roman heritage and stop this historical revisionism.

This has always been my line as well. :)

(Well, unless we're talking about Greek philosophy. I'd rather smear rancid butter in my hair and revere an oak tree than read Plato).

Edited by Ursus

This sounds somewhat similar to a just to be released book called UnRoman Britain by English archaeologists Stuart Laycock and Miles Russell. According to the book synopsis the Romans had very little impact on the British Isles as many of the 'Celtic' Britons and Picts refused to adopt any Roman culture beyond a few pots and trinkets here and there. According to the authors the feeling was mutual among the Romans, who never really came to accept Britannia as a "true" part of the Roman world.

It sounds a bit similar to the stuff I read in Francis Pryor's 'Britain AD' a few years back. Throughout that book Pryor referred to the Roman period as an 'interlude'; claiming the Romans never had much of a cultural impact on the native Britons. He uses examples of the majority of the Britons choosing to live in their little roundhouses rather than live in Roman towns.

Personally I doubt 'choice' had very little to do with it. Perhaps many Britons would have loved to live in a cosy Roman villa, but like many people in Britain today, they just could not afford to live the richman's lifestyle. Rich British noblemen like Togidubnus seem to have adopted the Roman way of life though. I also find it interesting that Welsh, which is descended from the Brittonic language, has over a quarter of its words in latin, while many post-Roman British warlords, kings and Princes continued to use latin inscriptions and Roman terms (such as civites) for centuries after the fall of Roman Britain. So much for no impact!

Edited by DecimusCaesar

Another one for you . . .

Auntie is staying quite tight-lipped about when these are going to be aired, but there's a new season of History Prgrammes being trailed for BBC2.

There are two of specific interest to this forum:

Pompeii

Mary Beard, Cambridge Professor of Classics and author of Pompeii

This one is on Wednesday 2100 (GMT) on BBC2 (and will be on the iPlayer for those outside this green and pleasant land.)

Ancient Worlds

BBC Two's Ancient Worlds, is a six-part odyssey from the first cities of Mesopotamia to the Christianisation of the Roman Empire with archaeologist and historian Richard Miles at the helm. The series tells the story of what Richard argues is mankind's greatest achievement

Sorry about the late notice on this one. Also it isn't Roman, it's Greek, but I'm sure many readers of this forum will be interested:

"Gods and Monsters: Homer's Odyssey"

Channel: BBC4

Date: Monday, 8th November (and other dates/times - see link)

Time: 2100 GMT for 60 mins

Episodes: 1 (to be confirmed)

Link: BBC4

Virginia Woolf said Homer's epic poem the Odyssey was 'alive to every tremor and gleam of existence'. Following the magical and strange adventures of warrior king Odysseus, inventor of the idea of the Trojan Horse, the poem can claim to be the greatest story ever told. Now British poet Simon Armitage goes on his own Greek adventure, following in the footsteps of one of his own personal heroes. Yet Simon ponders the question of whether he even likes the guy.

As usual, this one will be on iPlayer for non-UK TV Licence fee payers (you guys can have this one on us. No thanks necessary, but if you see a UK TV Licence fee payer in a pub, please buy them a beer!)

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Sorry about the late notice on this one. Also it isn't Roman, it's another Greek one, but I'm sure many readers of this forum will be interested:

"Greek Myths: Tales of Travelling Heroes"

Date: Monday, 15th November (and other dates/times - see link)

Episodes: 1 (to be confirmed)

Eminent classical historian Robin Lane Fox embarks on a journey in search of the origins of the Greek myths. He firmly believes that these fantastical stories lie at the root of western culture, and yet little is known about where the myths of the Greek gods came from, and how they grew. Now, after 35 years of travelling, excavation and interpretation, he is confident he has uncovered answers.

more. . .

As usual, this one will be on iPlayer for non-UK TV Licence fee payers (you guys can have this one on us. No thanks necessary, but if you see a UK TV Licence fee payer in a pub, please buy them a beer!)

I mentioned this one earlier, but now I've got a format going, I'll repost, especially as it was really VERY good last week:

"Ancient Worlds"

Date: Wednesday, 17th November (and other dates/times - see link)

Episodes: 6 (of which the 17th November is number 2)

Archaeologist and historian Richard Miles explores the roots of civilisation in an epic series that runs from the creation of the first cities in Mesopotamia to the fall of the Roman Empire

"I frequently ask my daughter which would she prefer: Visiting her father's Ancient Roman ancestors, relaxing in their heated baths, and enjoying sumptuous meals...or visiting her mother's ancient ancestors who slept in mud huts, made human sacrifices, and put rancid butter in their hair."

If you'd asked me at say, age 12, I'd have taken the ancient Brit option every time.

And it's even got Mr Jacobi in it (though this time, taking the role of Brian Blessed!!):

"House of Claudius"

Channel: Radio 4

Date: Sunday, 28th November

Time: 1500 GMT for 60 mins

Episodes: 6

Link: Radio 4

Dramatisation by Robin Brooks of Robert Graves' scandalous histories of Roman political vice.

Young Claudius grows up in the turbulent household of Augustus, the first Roman Emperor, and Livia, the wife who matched his achievements with her ambition. The Imperial Couple disregard their young grandson as they inch towards absolute power. But that won't save Claudius from heartbreak.

As usual, this one will be on iPlayer for non-UK TV Licence fee payers (I still haven't been offered that beer yet!)

Not really a 'Coming Up next . . . ', beacause it has come and gone.

Mastermind - Test Your Knowledge of Mark Anthony

A brief opportunity (6 days, probably) exists to watch a contestant on Mastermind answering questions on our roister-doistering hero, Mark Anthony. See if you can beat the guy (bet you don't - he's good!)

You have to watch it on the BBC iPlayer, and wait for the second contestant to go.

I beat him on 2 questions.

Apologies for repetition, as this is the third time I've mentioned this one. However, some of you may have spurned it thus far for not being Roman. This week, however, it has reached the time of the Roman Republic:

"Ancient Worlds"

Channel: BBC2

Date: Wednesday, 8th December (and other dates/times - see link)

Episodes: 6 (of which the 8th December is number 5)

Link: BBC2

(As usual, this one will be on BBC iPlayer for non-UK TV Licence fee payers.)

And I have to say, the bloke who presents this bears an uncanny resemblance to Robert Web!

Edited by GhostOfClayton