UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
GhostOfClayton

Coming up next . . . .

There's so much Roman stuff on Time Team, and it's on so often, that I never mention it here. However, this week there's a special that will definately be worth a look.

'Time Team Special: Boudica's Lost Tribe'

Channel: Channel 4

Date: Wednesday, 4th May

Time: 2100 GMT for 60 mins

Episodes: 1 (though there are 5 more, premuably non-Roman, Time Team Specials in this series)

Link: Channel 4

Boudica is revered as one of the greatest female warriors in history. Tony Robinson traces her story and follows a major excavation in Norfolk that may hold the key to uncovering what happened to Boudica's tribe after they were defeated by the Roman army.

Boudica's tribe, the Iceni, used to make exquisite torcs: jewellery that required metalworking skills more advanced than anywhere else in the world; and they left behind some of the greatest treasures of prehistory.

When the Romans threatened their way of life, the tribe dared to take on the full might of the Roman Empire. But the tribe's revolt failed and as Boudica disappeared from history so did the Iceni.

Tony visits Caistor St Edmund, a small English village that 2000 years ago was known as Venta Icenorum. In clear aerial pictures, it appears that the area was a significant Roman town in the heart of Iceni territory.

This Time Team Special asks whether the town was built on top of a tribal centre in order to punish the Iceni rebels, and considers whether imperial Rome simply crushed the Iceni or if Boudica led her tribe to destruction.

As usual, this one will be on 4OD from Thursday onwards. if you're living outside this green and pleasant land, you may not be able to get 4OD. if not, and you'd like to see it anyway, let me know and I'll record it for you.

If anybody can't wait for the Time Team special or cannot get access to it then you can get some insight into both the excavations and what has actually been found to date (they are back next year) by reading the excavator's blog form 2010 here.

Apologies for the late arrival of this one - I stumbled across it in the scedules just 5 minutes before it aired . . . and it was the last of the series!

'History Cold Case: The Woman & Three Babies'

Channel: BBC2

Date: Thursday, 21st July

Time: 2100

Episodes: Last of 4 (this is series 2)

Link: BBC Website

In the sleepy commuter town of Baldock in Hertfordshire the History Cold Case team is called in to investigate the discovery of a skeleton dating from around 100AD, buried in a bizarre position, along with the remains of three babies. Is she Celt or Roman? Is she the earliest recorded mother of triplets in Britain and what can her story reveal about the bizarre attitudes to pregnancy and childbirth during the Roman occupation of Britain?

This was superb television, and the link will take you through to a page with the option to watch on iPlayer - as usual, those from outside this Green & Pleasant Land may have difficulties getting at the BBC iPlayer, but give it a shot.

Just one more comment, only a Female Archaeologist could say "awwww!" when presented with a collection of tiny baby vertebrae! Male archaeologists wouldn't, and I'm not sure even the most maternal non-archaeologist could see babies' innards as cute.

Sorry, I should just warn anyone planning on watching the above that their are some quite graphic descriptions on the various methods adopted by Roman doctors/midwives when dealing with difficult births. Sufficiently graphic for Mrs OfClayton to put her fingers in her ears and say "LA LA LA LA LA" very loudly. You have been warned!

There was a series last spring on the Military History Channel (U.S.), and I can't remember what it was called. I only caught two episodes, the one about Spartacus, and the one about Varus' column in the Teutoburg forest. Can anyone remember what it was? I'm trying to find it. Thanks in advance.

I think I have it on DVD. Will let you know when I get back home. PM me next week if I haven't got back to you.

There was a series last spring on the Military History Channel (U.S.), and I can't remember what it was called. I only caught two episodes, the one about Spartacus, and the one about Varus' column in the Teutoburg forest. Can anyone remember what it was? I'm trying to find it. Thanks in advance.

You'll find it on this DVD

You'll find it on this DVD

Awesome! That's the one. Thank you. I guess I overlooked it since this is probably the 112th documentary series called Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire. LOL I wish they'd put more thought into naming these things...

Edited by NoJobRob

Apologies for the late arrival of this one - As often happens, I stumbled across it in the scedules just a few minutes before it aired

'Gladiator: The True Story'

Channel: Channel 5

Date: Sunday, 15th AugustTime: 2100

Episodes: 1

Link: Not available at the moment

Documentary exploring the real-life events behind Ridley Scott's film Gladiator. The programme reveals the outlandish behaviour of Commodus, the Roman emperor portrayed by Joaquin Phoenix, who competed in public hand-to-hand combat for entertainment and killed several high-ranking senators to maintain control of the empire. The life, culture and intensive training of the gladiators is also examined, and two archaeologists get surprising results when they conduct an experiment to discover the possible attacks and defences used during battle

Although it was in the usual 'History Channel' style, this was a lovely programme. It was really a pgramme of two halves. Firstly, gladitorial combat was covered, with some interesting experimental archaeology. Secondly, the story of Commodus was covered. It will be on Demand 5 for UK readers.

I did record it, so if anyone is particularly interested, let me know and i'll get a copy to you.

So help me with this one. These nasty "imperialists" (the Romans) are the blood ancestors of many in Britain. Why are the Romans vilified, while those "peace-loving" Ancient Celts are admired and respected?

it is interesting. The Romans and their imperialism is unfashionable, partly because we now stress the disregard for eco-systems and the bloodier side of Roman culture, whereas a hundred years ago or more we thought highly of classical culture and stressed the civic and literary side of things. We're more concerned with the impact of society on our surroundings and so we judge the Romans by the same light.

Then of course we're recently re-evaluated celtic culture in the wake of neo-paganism, and thuis 'rediscovery' has been catered to by improvements in archaeology, media, and the desire to find alternative roots.

The Ancient Romans were not the invading Spanish Armada, Napoleonic French, or the evil German Nazis. They were not even the later and more destructive Angles, Saxons, Jutes, or Frisians. (And how did the invasion of these Germanic barbarians turn out for everyone? I guess there's nothing like a few centuries of darkness and brutality.)

There were swings and roundabouts with each cultural migration. The Romans had a rapacious exploitative streak (there you go, I'm bashing the Romans), but for me one of the most enlightening sources is part of a letter sent by Cicero.

From my brother's letter I gather surprising indications of C

No details of times, dates, episodes, etc are available at the moment, but let's at least get it logged.

'Digging For Britain'

Channel: BBC2 (& Possibly BBC2 HD)

Date: TBA (coming soon)

Time: TBA

Episodes: 4

Link: BBC2

Great Britain might be a small country but it has a huge history. Everywhere you stand, there are worlds beneath your feet
Edited by GhostOfClayton

IMHO Alice Roberts can do no wrong, so it should be interesting. No news yet as to whether there'll be any Roman stuff, but I'd say it's not looking likely from the above info. More details as they come in.

As usual, this one will be on BBC iPlayer

If the series runs the same as last year they will break it down into separate time periods at least one of which will include some potentially very important mesolithic excavation by Biggar archaeologists but Roman excavations and related items will also feature:

I found this reference to them filming at Folkestone History Resource Centre and at the Villa dig site last June.

In a previous thread I mentioned further research at the Yewden Villa site at Hambleden related to the baby burials found there and as stated in this BBC article apparently it also is going to feature in the new series.

Edit - Recent discoveries at Silchester will also feature as per this article on the BBC

BBC Radio 4 Extra are currently airing a remake of Seutonius' 12 Caesars. This started on Monday 5th Sept, but Monday and Tuesday's episodes are still available here

No details of times, dates, episodes, etc are available at the moment, but let's at least get it logged.

'Digging For Britain'

Channel: BBC2 (& Possibly BBC2 HD)

Date: TBA (coming soon)

Time: TBA

Episodes: 4

Link: BBC2

As usual, this one will be on BBC iPlayer

It is now (Thursday 8 Sep 2011) listed as on "Tomorrow, 21:00 on BBC Two (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland only)"

(ie Friday 9 September) plus several repeat showings on BBC2 and BBC HD over the next few days.

Dr Alice Roberts follows an entire year of British archaeology, joining up the results of digs and investigations the length of the country. The results are astonishing and sometimes disturbing.

This episode concentrates on Roman Britannia, where finds include the thickening mystery of 97 baby skeletons found by the Thames, a newly discovered town in rural Devon that turns history on its head, and a Roman cult figure buried for 1700 years beneath a fort.

NB there is a short clip here

Do let us exiles outside the UK know how this one turns out. I'm especially interested in the town in Devon that 'turns history on its head'. (History has a head?) The 97 babies would be - at a guess - a plague burial. Do we have a date for them?