GhostOfClayton

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stumbled across this enjoyable little gem the other day:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-packs/secrets-sky

'Secrets from the Sky'.  It was a half hour jaunt showing the highlights of the Antonine Wall from a remote quadcoptor.  Bettany Hughes, as always, was the accesible (and if I'm honest, easy on the eye) face of archeology, handling both the subject matter, and the subject matter experts with one eye on her audience.  Nothing too taxing, none of the ideas presented were too new or radical, and I'm not sure the coptor uncovered anything that wasn't evident from the ground, but provided interesting shots for the viewers.  However, a lovely little watch that I would recomend to anyone if they can find it in their schedules.

On a related note, I once came across a man taking a movie sequence from a quad coptor flying through the 'gorge' section of Limestone Corner.  As the Wikipedian responsible for the Limestone Corner article, I asked if he would send me a copy, but sadly he never did.  Shame, the uneditted version straight from his Go Pro Hero camera was impressive.

Via the neo-pagan movement there has been a more sanctified image of celtic tribes than previously considered in Britain, but the opinion is deeply devided between the 'Golden-Agers', the historical researchers, and those who sneer at 'primitive' peoples, usually preferring the Graeco-Roman world in a sort of modern analogue.

As for Betthany Hughes I can't say I agree with everything she broadcasts - television has an unfortuante tendency to amplify things a bit but that's not neceesarily her fault - yet on the whole she makes rational and realistic points. As it happens, on this subject I seem to be somewhat in agrrement. My own study of the area I live in rather confirms this colonial image, with iron age tribes co-existing with the Roman military, economy, and government. The idea that the British were mystically converted into pure Romans is bunkum taught in schools by people who just don't know any better - they're simply reaffirming the same rubbish to the next generation. Regional and cultural identity is a very strong factor in human society. It can survive changes and can be demonstrated to be still existant after a millenia or more. It is, after all, these identities that weakened central government in Britain is contending with with calls for devolution and local independence.

• 3 weeks later...

I've already seen this one, but it will be repeated as below. It covers a lot of the same ground as the Mary Beard one, but has been brought a little up to date, and has some new angles.

'Pompeii: the Mystery of the People Frozen in Time'

Channel: BBC 4
Date: Mon 29 Dec 2014
Time: 1900 GMT for 60 mins
Episodes: 1
Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rn6c2'>BBC 4

The city of Pompeii uniquely captures the public's imagination - in AD79 a legendary volcanic disaster left its citizens preserved in ashes to this very day. Yet no-one has been able to unravel the full story. . .

p016v5xm.jpg

As usual, this one is on iPlayer. if you're living outside this green and pleasant land, you may not be able to get it.  Sorry.

My Review:

As mentioned before, this covers a lot of the same ground as Prof. Beard's offering, but does bring some new stuff to the table.  Margaret Mountford is a good choice of presenter.  For those not familiar with her, she was Sir Alan Sugar's right hand man (woman) on the UK version of The Apprentice.  Quite frankly she brought the only touch of class to that entire programme, and did it well.  She's clearly from a strong business background, so you may think a little unsuitable to handle a BBC4 history programme (BBC4 is quite an acedemic channel).  However she left The Apprentice to study for her PhD in Papyrology at University College London, and her thesis was entitled 'Documentary papyri from Roman And Byzantine Oxyrhynchus'.  So I would disagree.  And she handled the subject very well indeed, questionning experts with a sort intelectual curisoity, and confidence she was pretty much on an equal footing with them.

To summarise.  Good programme overall with excellent historical content and a very good presenter, however possibly a touch 'same-old, same-old'.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Not seen this one yet.  Interesting choice of Christine Bleakley as a presenter.  She's certainly a safe pair of hands in TV land. She's endearing, and has a very enaging Irish accent which, if I'm honest, I do find just a little sexy (once I've established she won't eat me and I can't eat her), but is much better known for magazine programmes rather than anything with acedemic content.  We will see how she pans out, but ITV is more of a popular channel than one aimed at acedemia, so she could well be a good choice to bring Roman Britain to the masses.

Roman Britain From The Air

Channel: ITV1
Date: Tue 23 Dec 2014
Time: 2000 GMT for 60 mins
Link: [url=http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week52/roman-britain-air]ITV1[/url]

In a unique journey across Britain by helicopter, Christine Bleakley and historian Dr Michael Scott tell the story of what life was like for Romans and Britons 2000 years ago.

ROMAN_BRITAIN_FROM_THE_AIR.jpg

As usual, this one is on ITV Player. If you're living outside this green and pleasant land, you may not be able to get it. Sorry.

I'm not sure i can recognise where they're standing.  Looks like a possibility for 'Guess the Ancient City'.  I'll go and post now.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

clooney2.jpg

Hail, Caesar

Here's George Clooney as Ceasar, in a publicity shot from a film called 'Hail Caesar'.  There you go.  Something for the ladies, something for those with a man-crush on the Divine GJC (you know who you are!  :yes: ), and something for all us Romanophiles here on UNRV.  

Or is it?

A swift look at IMDB reveals that this comedy is set in the 50s Holywood cinema industry.  Presumably it's a film about a film about GJC. C'est la vie!

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Roman Britain From The Air

Channel: ITV1

Date: Tue 23 Dec 2014

Time: 2000 GMT for 60 mins

Link: [url=http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week52/roman-britain-air]ITV1[/url]

I've seen this now.  It really had very little new to say, and some of the things it did say were popular or long disproved myths. That sounds like a critcism, but that really isn't, when you consider the target audience.  Remember, this is prime-time ITV1, second only for viewing figures to the mighty BBC1.  This was targetted squarely at the casual audience, aiming (I think) to ignite a passing interest for a short time only.  To educate by entertaining, rather than to entertain by education. It did this very well indeed.  Christine Bleakley represented that audience beautifully, asking the experts what the ley audience would ask, and showing interest in the things they would be interested in.  A good mix of experts were on hand, usually drawn from local museums and universities, so it was nice to see some new faces on the telly.

When I said it had very little new to say, there was one thing I didn't know, and felt I should mention.  I had no idea there was a good piece of Roman Wall in a car park under London.  I've since researched it, and will be going to have a look next time I'm down there.  To find it, head for the Museum of London, and then find the extant part of Roman Wall just to the east of it on the street called London Wall.  There's an entrance to London Wall car park.  head down into the car park, and locate bay 52.  Voilà!

• 1 month later...

Roman Britain: A Timewatch Guide  

Channel: BBC 4 (and BBC 4 HD)
Date: Tuesday, 17th Februaryat 2100 GMT, repeated 0300 the next morning and 2200 on the 19th.
Episodes: 1 (60 minutes)
Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b052vcbg

Using 50 years of BBC history archive film, Dr Alice Roberts explores how our views and understanding of Roman Britain have changed and evolved over the decades.

Along the way she investigates a diverse range of subjects from the Roman invasion, through Hadrian's Wall, the Vindolanda tablets and the eventual collapse of Roman rule. Drawing on the work of archaeologists and historians throughout the decades, Alice uncovers how and why our views of this much-loved period of our history have forever been in flux.

p02jmglg.jpg

As usual, this one will be on iPlayer, but if you're living outside this green and pleasant land, you may not be able to get it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Alice Roberts can do no wrong in my eyes, though she seems odd for Auntie Beeb to keep rolling her out to front Roman History programmes, even though she has a sound knowledge of palaeopathology (in a Renaisance woman kind of way), there are many more excellent presenters with a broad Roman background swilling about the corridors of W1A.  Still, this programme will no doubt be yet another of BBC4's staple offerings, where they mine the archives for interesting titbits, edit them together, and pop a charaismatic, clever and photogenic 'expert' in front of the camera in a relevant location.  Mark my words, there will be nothing new on offer here, but it will be 60 minutes' worth of interesting telly.

Edited by GhostOfClayton