Coming up next . . . .

I mentioned this in passing above, but now I have details:

'Pompeii: Life and Death in a Roman Town'

Channel: BBC2 & BBC2 HD

Date: Tuesday, 14th December

Time: 2100 GMT for 60 mins

Episodes: 1 (to be confirmed)

Link: BBC2

Pompeii: one of the most famous volcanic eruptions in history. We know how its victims died, but this film sets out to answer another question - how did they live? Gleaning evidence from an extraordinary find, Cambridge professor and Pompeii expert Mary Beard provides new insight into the lives of the people who lived in the shadow of Mount Vesuvius before its cataclysmic eruption.

In a dark cellar in Oplontis, just three miles from the centre of Pompeii, 54 skeletons who didn't succumb to the torrent of volcanic ash are about to be put under the microscope. The remains will be submitted to a barrage of tests that will unlock one of the most comprehensive scientific snapshots of Pompeian life ever produced - and there are some big surprises in store.

Using the latest forensic techniques it is now possible to determine what those who perished in the disaster ate and drank, where they came from, what diseases they suffered, how rich they were, and perhaps, even more astonishingly, the details of their sex lives.

The way the remains were found in the cellar already provides an invaluable clue about the lives of the people they belonged to. On one side of the room were individuals buried with one of the most stunning hauls of gold, jewellery and coins ever found in Pompeii. On the other, were people buried with nothing. It looked the stark dividing line of a polarised ancient society: a room partitioned between super rich and abject poor. But on closer examination the skeletons reveal some surprises about life in Pompeii.

b00wqfcx_303_170.jpg

As usual, this one will be on BBC iPlayer from Wednesday onwards (usually for 6 days), for non-UK TV Licence fee payers.

You have my sincere apologies that this one passed me by and was on before I had time to post here. It is available on Demand 5 (follow the link below). I don't know for how long, but I have it recorded. Contact me for a copy:

'Gladiators: Rome Unwrapped'

Channel: Channel 5

Date: Tuesday, 1st Feb

Time: 2000 GMT for 60 mins

Episodes: More than 1 (to be confirmed)

Link: Channel 5

Historical documentary exploring Ancient Rome through a study of the Colosseum, which represents Rome in all its glory, ingenuity and brutality. The film reconstructs the opening games of AD 80, examining the spectacles that took place in the Colosseum, the men who took part in them and the building that housed the events.

full_size_DSC_4909.JPG?1296225595

I was pleasantly surprised to find that our old friend Adrian Goldsworthy was one of the major contributors to this documentary.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

In order to make up for my previous tardiness with Channel 5's "Rome Unwrapped" series, this one is still so far ahead, there's very little information on it. I'll keep my eye open for more as it appears and add it here.

'Julius Caesar: Rome Unwrapped'

Date: Thursday, 10th Feb (also Saturday the 12th on HD)

Episodes: There will probably be more in the 'Rome Unwrapped' series. Watch this space

Link: To follow

More info when I have it.

<SNIP>

On one site I checked the series is listed as eight parts but in addition apparently this may also be the same series recently shown by National Geographic in the USA as 'When Rome Ruled'.

On one site I checked the series is listed as eight parts but in addition apparently this may also be the same series recently shown by National Geographic in the USA as 'When Rome Ruled'.

I think you're right! Well spotted.

Sorry (once again) that I didn't post this before the event, but there was a nice little article (only about 10 minutes or so) on The One Show tonight about Roman bathing, laundry, make-up, etc.

At the time of posting, it's shown as 'Coming Soon' on the BBC iPlayer, and it'll only be there for a week. Not sure of the iPlayer overseas rules, but give it a try.

In order to make up for my previous tardiness with Channel 5's "Rome Unwrapped" series, this one is still so far ahead, there's very little information on it. I'll keep my eye open for more as it appears and add it here.

Date: Thursday, 10th Feb (also Saturday the 12th on HD)

Episodes: There will probably be more in the 'Rome Unwrapped' series. Watch this space

Link: To follow

God dammit I missed this! I remember seeing it advertised but forgot to record it.

How was it anyway? Any idea if it is being repeated anywhere?

EDIT:

For those who didn't see it, it's available to view for 5 days on the 5 website

http://www.five.tv/shows/julius-caesar-rome-unwrapped/episodes/julius-caesar-rome-unwrapped

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

I deleted it literally 5 minutes (if that) before reading this post! Hope you caught it alright on Demand 5.

Only a ten-minuter, but worth a look, especially with the films that follow it:

'The Eagle Special'

Channel: Film 4

Date: Thursday, 24th March

Time: 2050 GMT for 10 mins

Episodes: 1

Link: Can't find one

Ahead of a double bill of director Kevin Macdonald's films, he and stars Jamie Bell and Channing Tatum talk about making the new historical action-adventure The Eagle.

I'm sure it will be available on Film 4 on demand, though not for those whose internet gateway isn't in the UK.

MV5BMTY1MjYwNTQ4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjYwNzAxNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Incidentally, the two films that follow are 'The Last King of Scotland', which I'm yet to see, and the truly heartstopping 'Touching the Void'.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

You have my sincere apologies that this one passed me by and was three episodes in before I had time to post here. The last episode (3) is available on BBC iPlayer for another 6 days.

On Hannibal's Trail

Channel: BBC 4

Date: Thusday, 24th March

Time: 1930 GMT for 30 mins

Episodes: 4 of 6

Link: BBC 4

Series in which three Australian brothers - Danny, Ben and Sam Wood - set out cycling on the trail of Hannibal, the warrior who marched from Spain to Rome at the head of an invading army

Mostly travel, but a good sprinkling of history - very entertaingly presented.

Now I remember how beautifully filmed the move was, sets, costumes,ect.; and after an hour I also remembered how sad the story was. I couldn't watch it a second time. :(