UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman era mosaics in Tunisia

Ludovicus

On a recent visit to a mosaicist's shop in Philadelphia I found a wonderful coffee table book on Roman era

mosaics of North Africa. I don't think Italia can rival the output of Roman Africa.

Here is a website with some beautiful examples:

http://www.tunisiaonline.com/mosaics/index.html

A stunning collection, Ludovicus. Thanks for sharing them. I love mosaic floors - it's the area Mrs OfClayton usually has to drag me away from when we visit the British Museum.

The one with Neptune was my particular favourite from your collection.

I only wish I could persuade the "powers that be" to replace the floor in reception with something similar. You know, give the place a bit of class!

On a recent visit to a mosaicist's shop in Philadelphia I found a wonderful coffee table book on Roman era

mosaics of North Africa. I don't think Italia can rival the output of Roman Africa.

Here is a website with some beautiful examples:

http://www.tunisiaonline.com/mosaics/index.html

Thanks for sharing the site. Makes you wonder just whose sandals walked across some of those mosaics, or who the artist was and did he ever think that we would be looking at them today.

The book was from a French publisher, as I remember. I don't recall the title.

The next time I visit the shop I'll be sure write it down and share it with you.

Glad you like the mosaics. Roman North Africa was a wealthy region with lots of villas, even through the post Roman Vandal kingdom.

Edited by Ludovicus