UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Trethiwr

Everyday modern things that might impress an ancient Roman

They already had soap. They just didn't wash with it...apart from maybe sometimes their hair, and (mixed with urine) clothes. Can't remember where I read that, so no citation available, I'm afraid.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Well in case anyone is interested here is a link to a word document which is the story I have been writing.

Time Tunnel to Londinium

I am reasonably confident that the events are JUST possible.

(Not including the time travel aspect of course)

Obviously the possibility exists that my hero might be immediately arrested and swiftly killed since he doesn't speak Latin, Greek or even any Celtic language, and he is not conventionally dressed, but that would make it a very short and sad story.

I am perfectly prepared to tweak it if anyone has a compelling argument. My main objective is to keep it interesting for primary school aged children whilst maintaining a rigorous factual element and keeping as much education in it as the story can bear.

There is less than a million to one chance of me making any money from this, but I do intend to get it printed in small numbers for my own personal satisfaction.

I should perhaps add that the credits page already includes a thank you to the members of this forum for all the help I have got here, and the URL of the website.

Not that very many people will ever see it though.

I should perhaps add that the credits page already includes a thank you to the members of this forum for all the help I have got here, and the URL of the website.

Not that very many people will ever see it though.

Good luck with your book.

I've download your book to iBooks, and am reading through it. One of my many, many jobs is proofreading, so I've tried not to read it with that hat on (though search for "few few"). I'll give you some feedback at the end, though unfortunately, the kids in the OfClayton clan are either too old or too young.

I spotted something in there that I'd like to use, in order to hijack this thread, (if you don't mind.)

You say that Marcus says "Ar-Vay". I'd always thought it would have been "Ar-Way" (or even "Ar-way-tay"). I'd love to hear some of the proper Latinists views on that.

Yep spot on http://latindiscussion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9995 that point was picked up as well.

"new new" oh dear did I? lol

I just found out the stupid wall wasn't even built at the time I set this story. I thought they knocked up some kind of defences not long after Boudicca's little escapade. :(

I just found out the stupid wall wasn't even built at the time I set this story. I thought they knocked up some kind of defences not long after Boudicca's little escapade. :(

The good thing about running storylines past the members of this forum is that they're all beautifully pedantic . . . and proud of it (I know I am!) . . . so things like that can get picked up early on.

However, as I keep saying, there should be less pedant's in the world!

However, as I keep saying, there should be less pedant's in the world!

Still laughing as I write this reply! :lol:

Oooh, I'm an Optio now.

I'll just go and look that up. :rolleyes:

Cool stationed at the BACK! Damned sight safer than an imaginifer!

sorry off topic. :unsure:

I will take a bar of soap with me: that will impress the romans for sure. :P

Actually they do seem to have bars of (I believe a form of) lye soap as well, although admittedly probably mainly used by fullers in the cloth making process ;)

I've redrafted my story.

Got rid of the Londinium wall, changed a bit of Latin, added a bit more of a twist to the ending, changed the font, and got rid of as much bad punctuation and silly mistakes as I can spot.

I've also added pictures and turned it into a PDF file at Time Tunnel to Londinium PDF

I haven't had it proof read yet so there will probably still be some silly mistakes.

Toilet paper. Paper (well, papyrus)was rare and very expensive. That a book might cost less than a good horse would have impressed a Roman, but that paper could be so cheap that you could ...well, you get the picture!

Toilet paper. Paper (well, papyrus)was rare and very expensive. That a book might cost less than a good horse would have impressed a Roman, but that paper could be so cheap that you could ...well, you get the picture!

Phew! I just read the first two words and thought it was a review of my story. Ha ha. I forgot what the thread was supposed to be about.

As a matter of fact another post suggested that toilet paper might have seemed like a retrograde step. A sponge on a stick keeps everything at arms length so to speak and could be deemed more hygienic.

Its a question of what you are used to I suppose.

Back on topic I think a Roman arriving in the 21st century would be blown away by much of what he sees but might wonder why our homes lack under floor heating.

Its quite cold in my living room right now because the radiators have furniture in front of them making them very inefficient. If the heating ran under the floors (with suitable insulation below) it would be all nice and toasty underfoot right now.

I'm glad however that we don't have fabulous detailed wall murals, as my bloody kids would have drawn all over them by now! :angry:

Electrical stuff (and possibly also the internal combustion engine) would be the magic of the Gods, so I think they would be especially impressed by anything that had an immediate use for them, something it would be obvious would make their lives easier:

To expand on the magnets theme, a compass.

The legionaries had to wade across the Abus Fluvius, so the Humber Bridge would be extremely impressive (it still impresses me, and I see it every day from OfClayton Towers).

Pneumatic tyres.

A game of darts or snooker in the local tavern.

A box of Matches.

I'm sure there would also be some things that would make a Roman (especially one from a Patrician family) think that a backward step had been taken.

If one were to visit OfClayton Towers, the lack of slaves would be a concern to them. I do my own ironing, cut my own lawn, etc.

Also, sorry to put an unwelcome image in your heads, but the use of paper to wipe your derri