UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Feminine forms

Lanista

Check out a few of those words on Glossa. A superb Latin website.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Check out a few of those words on Glossa. A superb Latin website.

Oh, it's not so superb. Glossa's Latin entries are not only lifted entirely from Lewis & Short (a truly superb source for Latin etymologies), but the Greek source words duplicated in Glossa's entries are missing letters.

Check the "see also" entry for Threissa: Tracia. The Greek source words given are missing the letter theta, thereby making no sense at all. It must be some glitch in their transcription (theft) of Lewis & Short.

-- Nephele

Check out a few of those words on Glossa. A lacklustre and (and maybe even plagiarised) Latin website.

Ha! Some fancy footwork there, CoG. :lol:

I have to admit, though, that even Lewis & Short probably isn't ideal for these purposes, as Lewis & Short includes late Latin and ecclesiastical Latin.

For a dictionary of classical Latin (which just includes words in use up to the year 200 C.E.), the Oxford Latin Dictionary would be the better source. But I haven't got one of those handy. The OLD is on my wish list.

-- Nephele

I've no proof that they were actually used to describe a gladiatorix using the same weaponry as a Thraex.

-- Nephele

gladiator = gladiatrix (leave the "o" out)

Same of course for all male versions ending on -tor become -trix in the female version.

I've no proof that they were actually used to describe a gladiatorix using the same weaponry as a Thraex.

-- Nephele

gladiator = gladiatrix (leave the "o" out)

Same of course for all male versions ending on -tor become -trix in the female version.

Oops! Typo.

-- Nephele