UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

House of the Gladiators collapses in Pompeii

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11704720

6 November 2010

House of the Gladiators collapses in Pompeii

A house in the ancient Roman city of Pompeii has collapsed, raising concerns about whether Italy is spending enough to preserve its archaeological heritage.

The House of the Gladiators was found in ruins when curators came to open the site to visitors early on Saturday.

Partially rebuilt after it sustained damage during World World II, it had not been thought at risk of collapse.

Culture Minister Sandro Bondi said some of the frescos on the house's lower walls might have survived.

Antonio Varone, director of excavations at the site, said officials were "trying to preserve the last fragments".

The house, which is not normally open to the public but can be viewed from the outside, was cordoned off.

There was speculation that recent heavy rains might have made the structure unstable.

The house, known as the Schola Armaturarum, was used by gladiators for training before fights in the nearby amphitheatre.

Pompeii was destroyed in AD79 when a volcanic eruption from nearby Mount Vesuvius buried the city in ash. It was not uncovered until the 18th Century.

_49831233_houseruinsafp.jpg

House of the Gladiators after collapse. Visitors found the house in ruins when the site opened.

Unbelievable. The mismanagement and the absence of proper funding are constantly ruining the ancient monuments of Italy. With the crisis and at least 2 more years of Berlusconi things are not going to improve soon. If this happens in a wealthy country that takes pride in it's roman past while making money out of this monuments what can we expect for the future of antiquities in areas like the Middle East?

Pain! So much pain.

This is probably a silly question, but how do they know it was a training house for gladiators? Is Schola Armaturarum written anywhere on the walls?

This is probably a silly question, but how do they know it was a training house for gladiators? Is Schola Armaturarum written anywhere on the walls?

According to one of my Pompeii books, The Schola Armaturarum (Ins. 3 No. 6) is . . "A building consisting of a huge hall with decorations of military character. It was probably the meeting place of soldiers or of a military association . . " No mention of gladiators.

Unfortunately, the other books (including the transcription of the audio guide) doesn't mention it.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

According to one of my Pompeii books, The Schola Armaturarum (Ins. 3 No. 6) is . . "A building consisting of a huge hall with decorations of military character. It was probably the meeting place of soldiers or of amilitary association . . " No mention of gladiators.

Unfortunately, the other books (including the transcription of the audio guide) doesn't mention it.

Where can I find a photo of the building before the collapse? I must get to Pompeii before it is all gone! It's on my bucket list, but my bucket seems to not hold money long enough.

You can find it at Pompeii in Pictures (www.pompeiiinpictures.com).

ps. does anyone know why I can't post links?

Edited by Klingan

You mean like this: http://www.pompeiiinpictures.com?

You need the http:// at the start.

Also, what version of Internet Explorer are you running? It's awkward with IE6. Better with IE8.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

The "House of Gladiators" which is mentioned in this article is the former ludus (gladiator school) before the quadriproticus behind the theater became the new ludus because this old one became too small. The "House of Gladiators" is located in Region V 5.3. According to Luciana Jacobelli in her book "Gladiators at Pompeii" this building was used in the 1st century BC as a residence and between the reign of Augustus and Claudius it was converted to a ludus. Graffiti made by the gladiators were found there.

The "Schola armaturarum" is found in Region III 3.6 on the via dell'Abbondanza and built after the earthquake of AD 62. It was considered first being a kind of boarding school for the Pompeiian youth but more recently thought that it's a depository of gladiatorial armor because of the paintings on the facade which bears gladiatorial iconography.

Sorry to post again, but was so excited to see a photo of a caupona in Pompeii at that site! I have just finished reading a Lindsey Davis book in which alot of the action takes place at a "caupona". Now I can "see" what the author was describing!

You mean like this: http://www.pompeiiinpictures.com?

You need the http:// at the start.

Also, what version of Internet Explorer are you running? It's awkward with IE6. Better with IE8.

Thanks for the reply. It seems as if something was just messing up last night, it's working again now (I'm using Chrome btw).

Unbelievable. The mismanagement and the absence of proper funding are constantly ruining the ancient monuments of Italy. With the crisis and at least 2 more years of Berlusconi things are not going to improve soon. If this happens in a wealthy country that takes pride in it's roman past while making money out of this monuments what can we expect for the future of antiquities in areas like the Middle East?

A shame. I remember reading a couple of articles quoting some American and British archeologists complaining about the way things at Pompeii and Herculaneum are being run. Really very sad.

Edited by Virgil61