UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maty

Not originally Swiss

Interesting little compound gadget ... aqueducts, roads, law codes, and now this.

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/11/08/roman_multi_tool_spied_on_web/

This is a shocker.

That thing looks too pristine for a 2000 year old delicate piece of iron.

Forks were supposed to have been invented in the High Middle Ages. Also that type of connection between metal pieces (I don't know it's english name) it's supposed to be more modern.

Is this legit?

This is a shocker.

That thing looks too pristine for a 2000 year old delicate piece of iron.

Forks were supposed to have been invented in the High Middle Ages. Also that type of connection between metal pieces (I don't know it's english name) it's supposed to be more modern.

Is this legit?

The Fitzwilliam have it listed in their online catalogue

The Daily Mail carried an article back in January 2010 in which it noted that this particular tool is supposed to have been

excavated in the Mediterranean more than 20 years ago and was obtained by the museum in 1991

However as indicated in Simon Moore's 'Penknives and other Folding Knives' Roman folding tools as a group are not unknown, a more common form appears to be simple 'penknives' which are sometimes coupled with a spoon.

In fact several museums I have visited over the years include examples of Roman penknives although admittedly many are in a poor condition having generally been buried in areas with 'soggy' climates. If as was indicated in the Daily Mail report this particular knife was found in the area of the Mediterranean then a relatively arid area may well explain its good survival - especially as it is made of silver as well as iron.