UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Anthony and Octavian troops exchange

9544bhana

I read on Plutarch that Anthony and Octavian made a deal for exchange of military troops. Anthony provided 120 ships and Octavian was supposes to provide Anthony with 20000 troops for his eastern campaign. Anthony held his end of the deal but Octavian didn

I find it hard to believe Appian and other historian would miss such a critical aspect that divide Augustus and Anthony. The consol Ahenobarbus that lay charges against Octavian to try to limit his power accused Octavian of many charges like removing Lepidus and not giving Anthony his share of Sicily but never said anything about Octavian breaking his words about 20000 troops. I thought that would be the first charge he should have listed against Octavian.

I know Anthony and Octavian wanted to destroy each other but neither wanted to appear as the aggressor. I am trying to find Anthony motives. Octavian defeated Sextus and took over Lepidus forces changing the balance of power while about the same time Anthony suffered costly defeat in the east.

Was Anthony goading Octavian into a war? Sending his sister away, donation of Alexandria and building 400 ships. He must of know Octavian would see these action as moves against him.

• 3 weeks later...

If you seek power, at some point you must break cover and make that attempt. perhaps Antony had reached the point where his confidence had overcome the risks involved in openly building toward that end? He may not have wanted a war with Octavian, but it seems he was willing to risk it.