UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Can Boudica's battlefield be found using computer aided terrain an

Melvadius

Steve Kaye writing in British Archaeology describes some of his recent analysis and thoughts on possible locations for the rebel army led by Boudica's defeat by the Romans. In general I can follow and accept his reasoning although I would note that several authorities state that the Ninth legion probably only lost a vexillation rather than being totally destroyed. According to the report by Tacitus in the Annals only 2,000 men were needed to be transferred into Britain from Germany after the revolt to bring the legions back up to full strength.

[14.38] ....The whole army was then brought together and kept under canvas to finish the remainder of the war. The emperor strengthened the forces by sending from Germany two thousand legionaries, eight cohorts of auxiliaries, and a thousand cavalry. On their arrival the men of the ninth had their number made up with legionary soldiers....

Despite that one slight caveat I don't think his basic argument for the battles probable general location is unreasonable.

We have few details of the native response to the Roman invasion of Britain in AD43, but one episode entered folklore: the rebellion of an East Anglian queen. Steve Kaye thinks he knows how to narrow down the search for the elusive site of Boudica's last stand.

Boudica, the rebellious queen of the Iceni, lost her final confrontation with Roman power in AD60