UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
GhostOfClayton

Significance of Avatar/ Profile Name

My name is my name because my name is Rob and I have no job (sorry to sound like Dr. Suess). Well, I am self employed as a trader (U.S. Stocks and forex), but I don't have a "job" job. You can find me on a few other forums with the same username (forex factory, hot stock market, etc etc...). My avatar is my gravatar which automatically appeared here. I created it for use on heaven games but it magically works here too somehow. LOL

Edited by NoJobRob

My name is my name because my name is Rob and I have no job (sorry to sound like Dr. Suess). Well, I am self employed as a trader (U.S. Stocks and forex), but I don't have a "job" job. Y

Hey, more power to you. If I could quit my office job and work from home, I would do it in a heart beat.

Welcome to UNRV.

I picked Noricum because I was born in Vienna Austria - so it's a special place for me

One day I hope to have gathered enough knowledge to actually comment on threads -for now, being totally new to ancient history I'm just enjoying reading everything here

Hey cool, i am also from Austria,

on a site note, in case you don`t know, Vienna was part of the province Pannonia not Noricum, but in anycase hello again! :)

cheers

viggen

on a site note, in case you don`t know, Vienna was part of the province Pannonia not Noricum, but in anycase hello again! :)

cheers

viggen

Hi Viggen!

See what I mean about my huge knowledge deficit? Soon to be fixed of course by reading everything is sight here !

I'll have to change to Pannonia then.....:unsure:

Well, at least both Noricum and Pannonia were partially in Austria. :lol:

I've always been confused by ferrum noricum, however. If I read correctly, the iron in that region naturally contains manganese, which creates an alloy steel that is harder than the usual pure iron. This explains the popularity of the iron from that region. (I think even the Roman physician Galen mentioned a preference for scalpels made from ferrum noricum.)

Is my understanding correct?

http://www.alpine-sp...ies_WP5_PP3.pdf

guy also known as gaius

I visited Eisenerz and the Erzberg last August, to watch my cousin in a race up the Erzberg - he won the men's Alpine walking section!

Sadly at that time I knew nothing about Roman history in Styria!

This time when I visit in September I will have a bit more knowledge - and perhaps have to opportunity to do a bit of research in Leoben about the iron mining in Roman times

Another cousin is at university in Leoben so perhaps he can help direct me to the right sources

My area of focus is the Republic. The Metellii (sp?) were a patrician family very active in that time frame.

My avatar is a statue of Fortuna - if I had a patron goddess, it would be her.

Good to start a new thread if the other had been years ago - the active members change after so long, eh? ;)

Thanks all for sharing - I was also interested, but didn't want to be rude & don't have the time to do a search right now - so thanks for the new thread.

cheers

viggen

Hi Viggen!

See what I mean about my huge knowledge deficit? Soon to be fixed of course by reading everything is sight here !

I think Noricum is fine, after all Styra was there, actually most of todays austria was in noricum, small part in the east pannonia and small part in the west was Raetia, and my fellow citizens in the north were barbarians ;)

p.s. i scanned one of my maps for better understanding... austriaroman.jpg

My avatar is a coin of the Roman emperor Diocletain, who instigated major political reforms to the Roman Empire in AD 284. I've been meaning to change it for a while now.

Thanks for that map Viggen! Best map of that part of the Roman world I've seen so far :D

It's really got me interested now in tracing Roman history in Austria - and it seems a little town near Leoben, Donawitz must have been a Roman era place as it's on the map - this is where my mother grew up as her father worked in the steel works there

Well, I come from the Province of Britannia Prima, and would tell you about my avatar if I could discover any way to get one! :)

Well, I come from the Province of Britannia Prima, and would tell you about my avatar if I could discover any way to get one! :)

Your time will come, Iolo. I'm hoping that Viggen or one of the other knowlegable types will jump in and tell us how many posts you need under your belt before you can create one.

I also didn't realize there was a bit of a "trial period" and spend a while fussing with unsuccessful uploads.

Hang in there and then tell us about your avatar.

Your time will come, Iolo. I'm hoping that Viggen or one of the other knowlegable types will jump in and tell us how many posts you need under your belt before you can create one.

Iolo you should be able to upload an avatar, we reduced the trial period to 3 posts, and you have passed that...

http://www.unrv.com/...ndpost&p=108608

Iolo you should be able to upload an avatar, we reduced the trial period to 3 posts, and you have passed that...

http://www.unrv.com/...ndpost&p=108608

Thank, Viggen. My intended avatar is, alas, too large, and I am not technically given. I shall have a Platonic avatar!