UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Roman History Books (December 2010)

Viggen

I think you'll enjoy Maty's book on mythology. I've also read "Roman Passions" and it was ok from what I remember.

That book on comparing Rome and China looks very interesting, I may have to consider getting that one when I have some free time.

I'm not sure what to think of the illustrated book on Pompeii and daily life Is that a joke, or something?

Edited by Ursus

I'm not sure what to think of the illustrated book on Pompeii and daily life Is that a joke, or something?

I agree that it is a somewhat confusing book seeming to straddle at least two stools and not exactly explicit in what market it is aimed at but this very ambiguity could actually be a good thing.

I had a quick 'browse inside' on amazon and although the cartoons sit a bit unfortably with the text the comments in the caveat lector (forward) very reasonably state the issues with any interpretation tending to be one of multiple possibilities. In addition there are some very astute comments in the 'References and Commentaries' listed from page 104 onwards.

All in all I think it is the type of book that many early teens may find an interesting an dinformative read and could easily provide adults with a good starting point for further research.

• 5 weeks later...

I will be submitting a full review later, but short version: this book grew out of a set of papers submitted to a scholarly research conference and is NOT for a casual reader.

However, it is still an interesting read provided you are sufficiently interested in comparative civilizations. While Rome and China had some appreciable differences, their histories up to about the 5th century are eerily similar.

Added only book from this month's list to my wish list.

The Greek and Roman Myths: A Guide to the Classical Stories

I got the book for Christmas. It's excellent, so I recommend you get it. I found it a lot more interesting, relevant and accessible in comparison to Thomas Bullfinch's books (although he wrote his stuff in the 1800's so it's bound to be less relevent).

I also got a copy of the Histories of Polybius.

Added only book from this month's list to my wish list.

The Greek and Roman Myths: A Guide to the Classical Stories

I got the book for Christmas. It's excellent, so I recommend you get it. I found it a lot more interesting, relevant and accessible in comparison to Thomas Bullfinch's books (although he wrote his stuff in the 1800's so it's bound to be less relevent).

I also got a copy of the Histories of Polybius.

I have now ordered this book. Good thing there are a few online bookshops to choose from..

I got Magic, Witchcraft and Ghosts in the Greek and Roman Worlds - a Source Book by Daniel Ogden for christmas. I have been flipping through it. There are lots of on interesting things in it and quotes. (of course translated into Enlish)

Edited by Artimi