UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

...the next Wallmap should be...

36 members have voted

1. 1. What Wallmap would you like to see next from us?

• Roman Republic
    • Alexander the Great
    • Spread of Christianity
    • Roman Britain
    • Byzantium
    • Ancient Egypt
    • other; please specify in the thread

...the great success of our Roman Empire Wallmap makes us believe there is a demand for more, what kind of map would you like to see?

From all the votes and suggestions in this thread, we will randomly draw 2 lucky winners to receive a first print of the new map once it's released.

Of course, development and production will take some time, so you better stick around the forum so we don't forget!!!

You might want to ask the UK types, but I think a large map of Roman Britannia with all the important towns, forts, battles, and religious centers might go over well there.

Edit: and seeing the poll after I initially posted, that's what I voted for.

Edited by Ursus

You might want to ask the UK types, but I think a large map of Roman Britannia with all the important towns, forts, battles, and religious centers might go over well there.

I agree, there would definitely be a demand for it.

Personally, I'd be partial to a spread of Christianity or Late Antiquity/Byzantine map.

Edit: and seeing the poll after I initially posted, that's what I voted for.

Careful with this one. There already exists the excellent Ordance Survey Map of Roman Britain. Most UK-based Romanophiles will have one on their bookshelves. Although it isn't in the form of a poster, there would be an element of competition there. I like having the UNRV Roman Empire Map on my wall, but its main use for me is as a reference guide. If I see that such-and-such a battle took place in the province of Badiddlyboing Odawidahonia, I would be able to look up the exact location on the map and see how far from Rome it is, how far from the nearest Limes it is, East, West, etc., etc. This is all stuff that I would use my O.S. map for, so would I buy a UNRV map of Britannia? Yes, but only to impress my friends.

I would love a wall map of the city of Rome, itself. When I was a kid in Latin class, we had this gorgeous city map on the wall, and it depicted the buildings in a sort of 3-D effect. You could stare at that map and actually imagine yourself walking through the ancient city.

I've hunted around for that map for years, and have never found it. :(

-- Nephele

I would love a wall map of the city of Rome, itself. When I was a kid in Latin class, we had this gorgeous city map on the wall, and it depicted the buildings in a sort of 3-D effect. You could stare at that map and actually imagine yourself walking through the ancient city.

-- Nephele

This is where my heart lies, too, although for me it would be to show how the city had changed over time...much like the current Empire map shows the various additions to the empire through time. It would be great to see how each emperor put his new spin on the city.

The other thing with this idea is that it lends itself to subsequent posters: one of the entire peninsula itself in detail, of other major cities and their histories, etc. History in diachrony :)

I would love a wall map of the city of Rome, itself.

That would certainly get my vote . . . especially if it would help with the locations in the Falco books!

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I had to vote for a Byzantine map. As addicted as I am to the Republic and interested in Christianity's spread, there seems to be so little documentation on the Byzantine era (maybe I'm just not looking hard enough) and I'd love to have a map that just makes it all laid out simply, nicely and easy to follow.

-- Nephele

That wouldn't be the poster of the Campus Martius and Forum Romanus of up-close pictures taken from the plastico in the Civilization Museum would it?

...the great success of our Roman Empire Wallmap makes us believe there is a demand for more, what kind of map would you like to see?

How 'bout a map of the late Roman Empire (AD 460 or later) that could show the Visigoths, Vandals, a defeated Hunnic Empire, Ostrogoths, Lombards, etc?

Just some ideas:

http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/_map/map.htm

guy

Edited by guy

• 2 weeks later...
This is where my heart lies, too, although for me it would be to show how the city had changed over time...much like the current Empire map shows the various additions to the empire through time. It would be great to see how each emperor put his new spin on the city.

I'm with Doc on this one -- the key to making a new map of Rome distinctive, interesting, and valuable would be to show how Rome evolved over time. Of course, that's a lot trickier than just showing the 3-D model of Rome in 119 CE (or whatever date you choose), but if you can come up with a good solution, it would be really cool. Heck, just showing the evolution of the Forum vicinity would be cool.

-- Nephele

I think there's an overlay in GoogleEarth that's somewhat similar to what you're describing.