UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

...the next Wallmap should be...

36 members have voted

1. 1. What Wallmap would you like to see next from us?

• Roman Republic
    • Alexander the Great
    • Spread of Christianity
    • Roman Britain
    • Byzantium
    • Ancient Egypt
    • other; please specify in the thread

A very nice poster could also be a reproduction of... various views of the city of Rome, for exemple some middle-ages, renaissance and modern time reconstitution of ancient Rome as imagined in those various periods (it could of course border the main map showing the city's evolutions)

The rise of the republic would be nice, different colour tones for the different stages and expansions

Or a similar setup for the decline of the empire, with all the movements of the different people.

[Careful with this one. There already exists the excellent Ordance Survey Map of Roman Britain. Most UK-based Romanophiles will have one on their bookshelves. Although it isn't in the form of a poster, there would be an element of competition there.

I'd partially back up Ghost of Clayton on this one as the OS map has been around for years and already lists the major town sites, industries, villas etc. I have a couple of versions the one from the 70's is still my favourite for its clarity even though many more sites and corrected details appear in later iterations. The real issue I have is in version 5 IIRC the Roman layers are underlaid with modern conurbation and road systems which can make it more than a little confusing.

That said a variation of the OS map may prove useful if you could remove the modern layers and simply show the stages in the occupation of Britain ie by year so and so Kent and this much of Southern England probably occupied, by year such and such a line along the Foss occupied etc, with different lines for the later divisions of the Province.

The sites of major battles is more problematical given some of the most interesting ie the probable sites of the final battle in the Boudican Revolt and Mons Grupius are still hotly debated with no viable resolution yet in sight.

The confusing problem as the Atlas of Roman Britain graphically shows by the number of images used in it is how much or rather limited detail can be clearly shown in a single map. :(

I can see where Melvadius and G of C are coming from with their comments on the Roman Britain map but I've got to admit that from a purely visual point of view a framed map Roman Britain would look pretty special on the wall along side my Roman Empire map. So for that reason it gets my vote.

But Neph and Docs suggestion of the map of Rome comes a very close second!!:D

definitely the roman republic, the others are too anglocentric, hellenocentric, not roman, and it wouldn't be fair to do a spread of christianity one without a decline of christianity one to go with it.

I would be very tempted to buy a map that highlights the campaigns of well known Roman generals with as much detail as possible, including major and minor engagements. I would be most interested in the campaigns of Julius Caesar and the Hannibalic War. Its not Roman, but I would also be interested in the campaigns of Alexander the Great.

And a map of ancient Greece would go along nicely with a map of ancient Rome...

I would like to see a wall map that gives a framework for the spread of Christianity throughout the empire. Also, I think it would be important to map areas where there was declines due to persecution etc... Failing this I would love a map of the Byzantine world.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this one, but it's slightly related, so "what the hey!"

Here in the sleepy little village of Aquis-of-the-Romans, we have a photo competition each year. There are prizes for the top three entires, but the top 12 get included in the village calendar for the following year as the main page photo of the month.

As an idea, UNRV contributors could take photos with a Roman theme and submit them, we could get the Triumverate to choose their top 12, and get someone notable to choose their top 3 for prizes.

The 2012 calendars could then be sold in the same way as the Wallmaps.

Just a thought. What does anyone think?

Maybe I should start a new thread for this one, but it's slightly related, so "what the hey!"

Here in the sleepy little village of Aquis-of-the-Romans, we have a photo competition each year. There are prizes for the top three entires, but the top 12 get included in the village calendar for the following year as the main page photo of the month.

As an idea, UNRV contributors could take photos with a Roman theme and submit them, we could get the Triumverate to choose their top 12, and get someone notable to choose their top 3 for prizes.

The 2012 calendars could then be sold in the same way as the Wallmaps.

Just a thought. What does anyone think?

I think it's a great idea, an official UNRV calendar would not only be good to own but would also be a great gift for someone too.

I do remember it been suggested a few years ago but we have a lot of new members since then so maybe the idae will take off this time.

I like the Roman Republic idea. All other suggestions are very cool too though. Down the road perhaps it would be an idea to have a map depicting the rise of Rome, from a single city to the conquering of its neighbors like the Etruscans, Sabines, Samnites... With each new addition to their territory the map could be color coded with a lighter shade of red as they expanded their borders. And of course have it annotated and such with historical events, dates, etc. Just a thought...

I don't have the first map yet, but fully intend to get a copy as soon as funds permit as it looks just great! As I am currently in a phase of being interested in the Republic, I guess my vote would go for the Republic option (though I'd be interested to hear how those who have voted for it see it as a map being different to the current map - as the current map does have limits of expansion marked for a couple of points in the later Republic era). I think the idea of a 3D map of Rome is the absolute bees-knees though. I would expect this would be a real winner with lots of people - I love the Andre Caron model of Rome website, but every time I look at it, I want to start trying to Photoshop bits together to get a full scale 3D image - I realise there is the Google Earth layer, but ultimately, I don't feel that works so well, it is essentially clagged on top of existing (current) aerial imagery, and looks just a bit, well, fake - a properly rendered full scale 3D image of the city (at any point really) would be so much better. I can see this is a massive piece of work, and on that basis, I would perhaps say maybe it should be looked at as the next map after this one we are debating? If someone could suggest a bit more detail around what the Republic idea might be like, I will make a decision and place a vote!

Cheers

Richard

While I voted for a wall map of Roman Britain, I would like to see a late Empire as suggested by Medicus, but then I am interested in the fringes of the Empire, so another suggestion Germania and Gaul.

Roman Britain should be a vertical 36x24, if you do it.

I should also like to point out that I will probably buy any map you guys put out seeing as how the first map is so nice!

Yes, I do have the Ordance Survey Map, but having something up on the wall would be nice to have.

Salve,

Has the next map been decided yet?  Anxiously awaiting the results, BTW I also support a map of Rome itself, layered to show construction and perhaps, destruction...410CE and 546CE?

Vale,