UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Vesta

A short translation

Omnis Salve!

My latin courses lasted for too short awhile for me to be able to get a proper ground to stand on. Meaning I can understand a little and speak/write less.

I'd like to ask a short question here. You know how one can say "A true heart" in English. As well as we in Sweden have very similar frases.

What would that frase look like in Latin? "Cordis veritas"? Or is that gramatically incorrect?

Making a ring with an engraving with that line/frase :)

Thanks for any help, friends.

/Maria Vesta

Edited by Vesta

My Latin isn't very good, and I may very well get corrected for this, but I believe that it should be Cor Veritas (nom sing + nom sing), if anything.

Cordis (gen sing) veritas (nom sing) would probably mean The truth of the heart.

Compare Pompeius Magnus (nom sing + nom sing) i.e. Pompey the great vs. Pompei Magnus (gen sing + nom sing) i.e. the greatness of Pompey.

I would, however, recommend that you talk to someone who's Latin is better than mine, preferably a local PhD, I know a couple of good ones in Sweden if you need help.

Edited by Klingan

Hej Cuspis ;)

Yes, makes sense. I will double check with a special "professor"....my grandfather whos Latin is impecable (couldn't reach him yesterday).

Thank you very much.