UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

Genome results

https://genographic....phic/index.html

For $100 American, you can trace one side of your family's genetic history (maternal or paternal if you are male, maternal if you are female).

I sent in mine before Halloween and just got the results back.

I am from Haplogroup R1b, M343. I am descended from Cro-Magnon man who went into western Europe 30,000 years ago. My genetic markers are most in common with people from southern England, Ireland and Spain.

I shall be doing my maternal lineage next.

Edited by Ursus

Quite cool! I wish I could afford that.

Now that I think about it, I spent a $100 to confirm what I already more or less knew: that my ancestors were from Western Europe. Oh well, at least I now have the science to back up the family tree. :-)

And you get neat facts like this:

M343: Direct Descendants of Cro-Magnon

Fast Facts

Time of Emergence: Around 30,000 years ago

Place of Origin: Western Europe

Climate: Ice sheets continuing to creep down Northern Europe

Estimated Number of Homo sapiens:

Tools and Skills: Upper Paleolithic

Around 30,000 years ago, a descendant of the clan making its way into Europe gave rise to marker M343, the defining marker of your haplogroup. You are a direct descendent of the people who dominated the human expansion into Europe, the Cro-Magnon.

The Cro-Magnon are responsible for the famous cave paintings found in southern France. These spectacular paintings provide archaeological evidence that there was a sudden blossoming of artistic skills as your ancestors moved into Europe. Prior to this, artistic endeavors were mostly comprised of jewelry made of shell, bone, and ivory; primitive musical instruments; and stone carvings.

The cave paintings of the Cro-Magnon depict animals like bison, deer, rhinoceroses, and horses, and natural events important to Paleolithic life such as spring molting, hunting, and pregnancy. The paintings are far more intricate, detailed, and colorful than anything seen prior to this period.

Your ancestors knew how to make woven clothing using the natural fibers of plants, and had relatively advanced tools of stone, bone, and ivory. Their jewelry, carvings, and intricate, colorful cave paintings bear witness to the Cro-Magnons' advanced culture during the last glacial age.

Edited by Ursus

$100? Wow, the price for that kind of test has really come down! I took Oxford Ancestors' mitochrondrial DNA test five years ago and I remember it cost twice that amount.

Now that I think about it, I spent a $100 to confirm what I already more or less knew: that my ancestors were from Western Europe. Oh well, at least I now have the science to back up the family tree. :-)

And now, when you get mad at your parents, you can no longer shout: "I must have been adopted into this family!"

-- Nephele

Quite cool! I wish I could afford that.

Well, I can help out using a new app called laptop-camera-pirate... just let me focus in closely on your genes. OK, it appears you are haplogroup I1 on wiki Try a click, I'm sure you will concur.

One problem is that I believe these only check a single root of your family tree, eg. fathers fathers father or mothers mothers mother, because they just check cloned genes. And the markers are mutations, so if they only find a really old one your group will have since spread all over and differentiated. The above group isn't too old.

You could be sneaky about finding these out via subterfuge or gift certificates. If your gift budget allows, you (possibly with siblings chipping in) could have your parents get dna tests, and then the whole family can get the info. Actually a female would have to have a male relative take the test for the y groups, which women don't carry. However males carry both types of genes.

I took all tests with additional genes checked for health factors. Darn it, I just noticed my subgroup seems to be a mystery one - just flagged with an asterisk and nothing more on the web. I didn't find my health findings too believable because they don't match historical or present outlooks very well (but they did accurately predict physical characteristics like eye color etc).

Edited by caesar novus