UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spartacus

Passion Of The Christ

Well, it did show a reallistic crucifixion,and it made me feel ill.The romans seemed to be enjoying there scourging a bit much and pilot was surprised by the state of jesus at the end of it.He must of known the effect it would have on him,or did the nasty romans dissobey his orders? I dont like gibson movies,just look at braveheart,william wallace shagging the princess of wales ;);) dont think so gibson. L

Well, it did show a reallistic crucifixion,and it made me feel ill.The romans seemed to be enjoying there scourging a bit much and pilot was surprised by the state of jesus at the end of it.He must of known the effect it would have on him,or did the nasty romans dissobey his orders? I dont like gibson movies,just look at braveheart,william wallace shagging the princess of wales  dont think so gibson. L

So far this is the most accurate statement about the movie I have heard. I think the soldiers were just exacting what they had been told to do and doing what soldiers do. I don't blame them -- Jesus himself forgave them and said they didn't know what they were doing.

I don't think I have went to Gibson's movies for historical accuracy -- they, like all movies, are ment to be inspiring in some emotional way. The fact is that Bravehart was worse historically than this movie. Good grief where was the bridge at Stirling. that wasn't an open field battle. But in the movie it was more grand than picking off the enemy units one at a time as they go across the bridge.

Same thing for this movie -- it has its moments but it is definitely emotionally charged.

Guest spartacus

I agree with Ursus, its been a good topic for discussion with many differing views, after all, this is what forums are for! ;)

The movie was great, but as Markus Regulus is mentioning, the Roman soldiers were professional warriors and guards, far from home. They did their job, and this was just another body to be punished.

I have not seen the movie nor intend to. I've heard the basic story countless times, and not sure how novel another experience would be even with the addition of authentic language and graphic violence.

However, I do have a question for those that have studied the whole event in greater detail than I. Would Jesus really have been executed via crucifixion? I was under the impression the Romans doled out that humiliating death only to slaves and traitors - the lowest of the low. Jesus was not a slave nor was he, from the Roman standpoint, a traitor. He would be at best just another annoying religious zealot in a land known for them (from the Roman perspective). If he had been executed, would it have not been through whatever means Jewish law used at the time?

Jesus was brought to Pilate by the Jewish rulers, sent with papers from Annais saying he was found guilty of incitting riots and claiming to be King of the jews, with the scribes and Chief priest inssistanct that Pilate would be thought less of for allowing Jesus to live, he released one man and crucified another, Jesus. The Romans were known for their brutaliuty, and inventive ways to kill or punish a man,, the roads leading into town cities and villages that rome controlled were lined with crosses , with the victims still hanging there, it was a great way to deter crime, and influence the people of the time.

But all of this is because Jesus had to die, he was born to die,