UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Criteria For Praetorian Guard

Guest spartacus

Guest spartacus

The Praetorian Guard was a unit set up by the Emporer Augustus, their role was bodyguards to the Emporer and were considered an elite legion

What was the criteria for becoming a Praetorian? Was there an age limit? Did a soldier need lots of battle experience? Did he need to be proficient in the use of all weapons?

I believe their pay was higher than that of ordinary soldiers but I wonder what it would have been like to serve in the Guard!

Numerous Emporers were killed by the guard and they were quite powerful in their own right

Hi Spartacus,

The criteria for becoming a Praetorian varied over time. But (as always in Rome) it helped to have connections! There's a long article about the guard on Romanarmy.com, that should answer all your questions.

Greets

Jasper

Guest spartacus

thanks for the link jasper

It seems initially they were formed from veterans who volunteered, I suppose the lure of better pay was a decisive factor in their decision

I wonder what it was like to serve in the Guard?

As far as I know there's no indication the Praetorians had other shields than the other soldiers.

As to the Guard when the capital was moved: it didn't exist anymore. Constantine disbanded it when he became sole emperor. The guard got it wrong and bet on his opponent, Maximian.

Cheers

Jasper