UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spartacus

Roman Sites

Pompeius,

Yeah, there simply wasn't anything worth conquering in Ireland.

QUOTE " Romans considered it a barbaric land "

For sure, some would say it still is ;)

I was wondering if any users live near a Roman site?

Do you live near a Roman site?

I live "somewhere" in Rome(I'm not going into details or you would be able to locate me lol ;) ) and there are quite a few famous roman sites around.Though my neighbour was recently digging to build a nice 3 floors villa in the "land" just next to my garden, except when they started working some other ruins came out (as I was expecting). Apparently it was part of a wall and a road (at that stage the ruins were still semi-hidden in the ground). Now, I'm not an archaeologist but having lived here my whole life I could make my considerations; I recongized that the wall was an "opus reticulatum", therefore the building was surely made in a period that can be between last years of res publica and early imperial years. The road totally shocked me (actually the wall too..but the road was incredible) because it was perfect, and with that I don't mean just perfectly conserved, but also perfectly made..it seemed like someone had build it the day before, such was its perfection. I noticed it was different from the classic basaltum roads with "basolati" (like the Via Sacra for instance), the basolati seemed to be perfectly coincident and the road was pratically perfect, I bet much more comfortable for journeys than the other ones. Also, I don

I live 3 miles from a Roman marching camp and 4 miles from a cavalry marching camp. These are situated on the A30 in Devon and were discovered in 2000/01. Also approximately 5 miles away is a possible villa which contained a roman kiln. These are all situated in East Devon. These are just a few around us.

I live in Moscow, Russia. I think Romans were planning never to go in our land.

I'm going to visit Italy in this year. Are here someone who could advise me one of the interesting place where I could get strong impression? Where can I see early Roman's architecture?

I live near a "Pizza Hut" does that count ?

Oh yeah, my neighbor is a barbarian, Fatboy, but I'm not in Ireland, one must have escaped to the States.

(Somehow, I'm thinking this is not making the same impression as Silentium's post)

(Somehow, I'm thinking this is not making the same impression as Silentium's post)

Impression?Yes, I probably entered the guinness book because of the amazing number of times I used the word "also" in that post. I'm proud of myself XD. Why do I have this terrible habit of not reading again what I post!?! lol

I'm going to visit Italy in this year. Are here someone who could advise me one of the interesting place where I could get strong impression? Where can I see early Roman's architecture?

I could give you detailed itineraries (less popular but more beautiful) where you could find early architecture, but it would be off topic here, and there's too much to write about it. Maybe you should open another thread for that =|

Guest spartacus

I recently visited Ribchester, lancashire where there are remains of a Roman Bath-House, I took photos for the Forum!

Go to Media Forum and click on Ribchester England

My next "project" hopefully will be Castlefield England

I am heading to the UK followed By Italy in the Summer. I'll stay in Rome of course, but would like to know if anyones been to Hadrians Villa ?

And Spartacus - Is Bath worth a visit ?? I'm in the UK for two weeks.

Guest spartacus

Hi Germanicus

I am glad you are visiting our little "province" :)

Bath should go on your must -do list it is fantastic!

Hadrians wall is also highly recommended!

Bring a cam-corder and camera with you!

If you let me know your destinations I can give you list/directions of Roman Sites and entrance prices if applicable!

Regards

Spartacus

:) Awesome Spartacus, you truly are a king among slaves !

Once I've got the itinery worked out I will get you to fill me in as you suggest, thankyou !

Sorry, no I don't live near any Roman sites, decidedly younger. I'm in Australia.

Hi Germanicus, I heard that someone found some roman coinage in queensland -- weren't there theories about the romans landing in australia or some such thing?

Guest Scanderbeg

There's theories on Roman landings in America.....

n 1976, diver Jose Roberto Texeira salvaged two intact amphorae from the bottom of Guanabara Bay, 15 kilometers from Rio de Janeiro. Six years later, archeologist Robert Marx found thousands of pottery fragments in the same locality, including 200 necks from amphorae.

Amphorae are tall storage vessels that were used widely throughout ancient Europe. These particular amphorae are of Roman manufacture, circa the second century B.C. Much controversy erupted around the finds because Spain and Portugal both claim to have discovered Brazil around 1500 A.D. Roman artifacts were distinctly unwelcome. More objectively, the thought of an ancient Roman crossing of the Atlantic is not so farfetched. Roman wrecks have been discovered in the Azores; and the shortest way across the Atlantic is from Africa to Brazil -- only 18 days using modern sailing vessels.