UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
NoJobRob

Movies set in ancient Rome (Complete List)

here are a few I haven't seen -

Sign of the Cross (1932)

Constantine and the Cross (1963)

Imperium Nero (2004)

Dacii (1967)

Conqueror of Corinth (1961)

Constantine and the Cross was pretty decent, even with the dramatic license taken by the writer(s) and director. Imperium: Nero was pretty corny though... Entertaining, but corny, and it isn't exactly true to what is assumed to be historical fact.

I found this box set on Amazon. $15 for 50 classic "sword and sandal" movies. It includes Warrior of Rome, Romulus and the Sabines, Gladiators of Rome, and many others.

First post updated to include all (I think) of the movies mentioned. I only included fiction and biographical dramas thus far. I don't have the patience to do the documentaries quite yet. LOL The list is looking better. Thank you to everyone who has contributed. Maybe in another year or so we can sift through all the nooks and crannies of the film world, and have every movie set in Rome ever made listed here. :lol:

From Decimus Caesar's list, I chose "Dacii" and found it online. Just finished watching it, and I must say it was entertaining, altho had to watch with subtitles. I never did figure out what language it was. Also, I never saw such a variety of costumes in such patterns and colors. Some of the plumes on the helmets were sensational! :D Oh, and if you thought the rain dance in Chelsmford 123 was great, wait until you see the one in this film. But, all kidding aside, I cared enough for the characters to watch the whole thing. And the battle scenes were not too shabby. Here's the link to Part One, the Utube version. Part two can be found there also. Let me know which country made this film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nox6JfDG81E

From Decimus Caesar's list, I chose "Dacii" and found it online. Just finished watching it, and I must say it was entertaining, altho had to watch with subtitles. I never did figure out what language it was. Also, I never saw such a variety of costumes in such patterns and colors. Some of the plumes on the helmets were sensational! :D Oh, and if you thought the rain dance in Chelsmford 123 was great, wait until you see the one in this film. But, all kidding aside, I cared enough for the characters to watch the whole thing. And the battle scenes were not too shabby. Here's the link to Part One, the Utube version. Part two can be found there also. Let me know which country made this film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nox6JfDG81E

According to IMDB the language is Romanian, but looks to be produced by both Romanian and French film companies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060482/

I forgot to mention that the movie "Dacii" has a brief scene showing the decimation of the Rhine Legion. I've read about it in books, but this is the first time I saw it in a film.

For those interested, "I, Claudius" is on Utube, uploaded in 2008; somehow I never found it until now. I've been watching the last several evenings and am up to Episode 5. Like many others I watched it when it was first broadcast. What a great show it is, the acting so good.

I don't know how to post a link with the web address without including the file, but if you type in the words I Claudius on Utube you should find all the episodes.

Nobody mentioned "Scipio Africanus" (1937). Supposedly many of the 30,000 extras were drafted to fight in Ethiopia. Or "Cabiria" (1914)(!)

Edited by Pompieus