UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Welcome Rebecca, I hope that you'll find these boards both enjoyable and useful :no2: Do you have any special interests within the subject?

Anything to do with religion, society and women in Rome would probably be some of my favourite topics and all of the sordid tales of course!

Hey everyone!

I'm Em, long time ancient history nerd, but particularly the Romans since I visited Bath in Somerset - I love to study their state religion and literature. Ovid is probably my favourite author with his scathing wit and bed crawling adventures. Thought I'd join up to chat with other romanophiles as my mates are sick of hearing about it! Excavated Vindolanda, a fort along Hadrian's Wall with Andy Birley I like the graft but not too keen on the science. What's the craic with everyone?

em xo :thumbsup:

Hey everyone!

I'm Em, long time ancient history nerd, but particularly the Romans since I visited Bath in Somerset - I love to study their state religion and literature. Ovid is probably my favourite author with his scathing wit and bed crawling adventures. Thought I'd join up to chat with other romanophiles as my mates are sick of hearing about it! Excavated Vindolanda, a fort along Hadrian's Wall with Andy Birley I like the graft but not too keen on the science. What's the craic with everyone?

em xo :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Em.

I've never had the time to get up to Vindolanda to excavate there myself but I've met both Andrew and Justin Blake who also works there several times and they seem good people to work with.

Regarding 'graft'; having done some excavation myself as well as some more academic work I have to say that to get the best out of the 'graft' of archaeology you do really need the science in a number of areas; from the initial use of 'geophys' to help identify targets for excavation right through to helping identify what has been found and eventually putting things into perspective and enabling some of the more fragile finds to go on display ;)

Hey thanks for the welcome ;)!

Aww man, you really should go it's brilliant! I went April time a few years ago, it's pretty bleak weather but the site is so beautiful, and always expanding. I was working on the first layer of a stone fort, it was amazing to go from a plain field to the bones of someone's homestead in a matter of days. Yeah he's a right laugh! I think Justin was taking a team after mine, was great to work with Andy though I really got a great insight into archaeology, it isn't as easy as Time Team like to portray it :thumbsup: haha! It's a shame I so wanted to work with geophys but I have a metal plate in my ankle (A Level piss up gone wrong) and can't use it. That's cool, have you got to excavate anywhere interesting?

Yeah very true, I began to study archaeology and ancient history at uni but it just wasn't for me, I know that I like the glory and romance but the tedious studying of strata and the "actual" archaeology wasn't my thing! I quite like aerial photography though and physically it's exciting and challenging but no use if you can't interpret what you find properly. I'm going to study Classics, but next year as I just had a baby girl, I think it's the literature and sleaze that's my real love to be fair...back to the Langenscheidt for me! Are you fond of the literature too?

em xo

<SNIP>It's a shame I so wanted to work with geophys but I have a metal plate in my ankle (A Level piss up gone wrong) and can't use it. That's cool, have you got to excavate anywhere interesting?

<SNIP>

em xo

I understand one of the archaeologists I've worked with had steel pins in their legs removed and replaced with titanium a few years back for that very reason.

The Roman temple complex I've recently been helping excavate is interesting on several levels not least the fact that is appears to have been a religious site with continuity of use from at least the Iron Age through to the Late Roman period.

The Roman aspect includes what appears to be 'semi-amphitheatre' as it includes a round rather than elliptical sunken feature that is similar to a type of structure usually only found at rural religious sites in Gaul. The current suggestion is that they may have combined religious/ theatrical and possibly gladiatorial functions which is why they are called semi-amphitheatres.

The main problem with the site is that despite 10 years of excavation, unlike Vindolanda, we have no form of documentary evidence from the site and finish there next year so we when we finish we may still not know the name of the deity or deities worshipped there :thumbsup:

Salve citizens

I'm back. It's taken 3 years and a long journey through the internet, and then stumbling on this long-neglected site while doing other research for me to get here, but I've returned from exile.

My apologies for not being around but you really don't want to be bored with the details, suffice to say that I shall be more active in the future as the Romans and their history are my very favourite topic for reading, movies and discussion, of all time.

Thank you to the Senate for not tearing down my villa and distributing my possessions in my absence, although the pool in my atrium did need a clean out and fresh water. All is in order again, now I need to find my slaves, if any survived the last revolt. Be back later.

Agrippina (the Elder) :thumbsup:

Salve citizens

I'm back. It's taken 3 years and a long journey through the internet, and then stumbling on this long-neglected site while doing other research for me to get here, but I've returned from exile.

<SNIP>

Agrippina (the Elder) :rolleyes:

Hopefully my joining the forum had nothing to do with your three year absence :) Welcome back.

Hello!

I just wanted to say a quick 'Salve!' and draw members' attention to a documentary about your greatest enemy airing on BBCFour called 'On Hannibal's Trail'...

It features my brothers and I on bicycles following the path of Hannibal from Cartagena to Carthage via Rome. It is not hardcore history but we do try and engage with the main events of the 2nd Punic War while we ride bicycles, visit archaeological sites, cross the Alps, recreate the big battles etc.

You can find more information and watch it here on i-player at the BBC's Hannibal webpage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t6skb

and our website has more information too:

www.woodbrothers.tv

We're very keen for feedback so leave comments at the BBC-TV blog if you have the time:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/07/on-h...cling-fro.shtml

or here! Thanks for your time.

all the best

Danny

Welcome to the forum Danny,

Late last night I managed a quick look at the start of programme 3 in your series and although I may not be able to get back to it you definately have my sympathy/ admiration for attempting to combine the trip with a TV series. It is not something I would ever attempt, especially as part of a three-hander but you seem to have visited quite a few interesting places along the way and others may find the programmes well worth watching.

Hey, I'm new. I'm interested in the Imperial phase of Roman history, particularly the Antonine and Severan periods (138 -235 AD).

Hello everyone. My name is Rob and I stumbled upon this forum not too long ago. I've been lurking here for a while but recently joined. Anyway about me, I'm 29 years old, I trade stocks and forex for a living from home, I've been a guitar player since I was in 5th grade, I enjoy a good beer, and I love Roman history. I graduated high school in 2000, went to school to become an EMT, then after 9/11 I decided to join the air force as a firefighter. I figured I'd do what I wanted to do for a living, AND serve at the same time, so I did. Got out in '06, went back to delivering pizzas for a living, and then got started trading in February '09. The dummy bull market we had after the March lows was a great environment to learn in. The money came easy and it left much time to study and learn everything I could. Fast forward two years: Still here trading and being profitable, so I must be doing something right! LOL

As for my Roman interests, I enjoy reading books on Roman history, though I have recently gotten into fiction. Simon Scarrow's Eagle series is pretty good. Rome: Total War is my favorite PC game (it's the only one I play), and I love movies and TV series that are set in Roman times, provided they aren't absolutely horrible like the "Empire" mini series was.

But anyway I'm starting to ramble. I need my morning coffee to cure my sleepiness induced A.D.D.

A big welcome to all our new members, it's good to have you on board!

Anyone with a love of Roman history will love it around here so have a look around and enjoy!!