UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

I'm not sure how I found this site - but here I am

Last year I spent a few days in Rome with my son and my main aim was to visit the Vatican, see the Vatican museums and the Sistine Chapel

All my son wanted to do was see the Colosseum and eat pasta

I found myself standing in the Forum with my guidebook and something strange happened - my years of indifference about ancient history was gone and I was completely mesmerised by my surroundings

So since then I've read all my partner's old school books (he studied Latin and Roman history) and bought quite a few books - and I thought I'd learn a bit of Latin as well!

I was in Europe to visit rellies in Austria, and I was thrilled to see Roman site excavations in Vienna, and my cousin in Styria told me of a Roman site near the town where he lives only he wasn't sure quite where it was

So later this year when I visit again I might find out where this Styrian site is from information here

I live in Sydney Australia, work, and instead of cooking dinner tonight I was immersed in this site! Luckily my partner can cook...

Welcome to the site Noricum - our Austrian members may be able to confirm if my guess about the site your cousin mentioned is correct.

I wonder if it may have been Flavia Solva that he was thinking about which is relatively close to the modern cities of Wagna and Leibnitz and apparently the only Roman city in modern Styria.

Yeah Melvadius you are correct, Flavia Solva it must be...

Hello Noricum, welcome at Unrv.com, glad you found us! :)

If you are in Styria (depending where) maybe consider a day trip to Carinthia ,for australians that must be around the corner anyway ;)

Magdalensberg is a very nice place if you are into roman sites,

http://www.unrv.com/roman-events/magdalensberg.php

cheers

viggen (the austrian) emperor

Welcome to the site Noricum - our Austrian members may be able to confirm if my guess about the site your cousin mentioned is correct.

I wonder if it may have been Flavia Solva that he was thinking about which is relatively close to the modern cities of Wagna and Leibnitz and apparently the only Roman city in modern Styria.

Well I didn't know about this Roman site, but it's not the one my cousin was talking about - the site he mentioned is an old bridge with a bit of road in the forest - nothing elaborate like this museum! His town is on the Mur river but upstream in the mountains

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah Melvadius you are correct, Flavia Solva it must be...

Hello Noricum, welcome at Unrv.com, glad you found us! :)

If you are in Styria (depending where) maybe consider a day trip to Carinthia ,for australians that must be around the corner anyway ;)

Magdalensberg is a very nice place if you are into roman sites,

http://www.unrv.com/roman-events/magdalensberg.php

cheers

viggen (the austrian) emperor

Thanks for the lovely welcome! Guess what - we did a day trip to Klagenfurt, Carinthia for a day trip to visit friends at their caravan site for an Aussie/Austrian BBQ

It's a shame I had only just discovered ancient Rome, so had little idea about Roman history in Austria

I'm not sure how I found this site - but here I am

All roads lead to UNRV. (This is my new motto.)

Welcome.

Thank you for your welcome im a old brit looking for info on Generals around

288-303 Diocletion era if anyone casn point me in the right direction

I must admit i stumble into this site but it appears to haver many interesting aspects and its nice to know im not the only sad soul looking at ancient history

i need to find my way round the site but it is obviously a greatly loved portal

Cu later

ruanman

Welcome Raunman, I am sure that you find lots to interest you on the various fora.

As you are interested in an aspect of the Roman military you may wish to also post this question on the Gloria Exercitus - 'Glory of the Army' forum here in case anyone doesnt' read this thread.

Welcome to UNRV Noricum and Raunman. :thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll love it around here, and by the way Raunman, we are NOT sad souls!!!! ;)

Thanks for the nice welcome! I'm busy reading and absorbing information here - making up for lost time as I had zero interest in ancient history until I stood in the Forum, amazed and captivated by Rome's history last August!

Welcome to UNRV Noricum and Raunman. :thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll love it around here, and by the way Raunman, we are NOT sad souls!!!! ;)

Thanks for the nice welcome! I'm busy reading and absorbing information here - making up for lost time as I had zero interest in ancient history until I stood in the Forum, amazed and captivated by Rome's history last August!

Yeah I know where you're coming from, the first time I visited Rome and especially the Forum and Palatine it just blew me away, it truly is a captivating and special place!

All roads lead to UNRV. (This is my new motto.)

And a good one it is too! Registered a while back, but never got to post. All changed! Here I am at last, where the road led to... :-)

Don't I know you from Roman Army Talk??? Welcome here as well.

Doubly welcome for introducing yourself with a couple of reviews of old favourites - I really must get around to re-reading them some time. B)