UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Can anyone tell me how to get my Avatar up?

Roger as you have now had 4 posts approved your status has been automatically changed to 'pleb' so if you go to your own member details you should now find that you have the ability to chose/upload an avatar.

Click on your name where it shows in the top left hand corner of the screen and then choose the option to 'edit my profile' on the top right of the screen. Choose the 'change avatar' tab and you will see a message about the file sizes and formats allowed followed by instructions on how to change/chose or upload your own avatar.

Ian Hughes told me about this site.

Otherwise known as 'sonic' here ;)

Hi Guys,

My names Daniel and I'm a student at the University of Queensland in Australia.. I'm currently at Geophysics student, but I'm hoping one day to take my knowledge into archaeology and pursue my passion of history and more specifically of the Roman Empire. I've just started taking night classes in Latin through the university and I'm very interested to see what I can learn via this awesome website. In addition I just purchased the wall map. Lol as soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it!

Take care all!

Daniel

Salve, Daniel86 (and G'Day). Geophysics, eh? Nice!

I found UNRV very daunting at first - I didn't really understand or know anything about most of what was being said. I'm glad I stuck with it.

I chanced on this site whilst researching for a book I am writing on the history of transport. I am including a chapter on Rome, because it seems (along with Han-to-Ming Dynasties China) to have been one of the world's most transport intensive civilisations. Writing this chapter of the book has rekindled the interest in things Roman which I first acquired as a kid in St Albans in the 1960s, when I used to help out in the school holidays with the excavations of Verulamium. I now live in the 'Eastern Empire', just outside Paphos, the Roman capital of Cyprus. Looking forward to bouncing ideas off the obviously knowledgeable members of this site in the months ahead.

Salvete omnes :)

I'm never good at introducing myself, so here is the bare bones; I'm a Roman re-enactor, follow the Roman religion and am studying to be a Battlefield Archaeologist with a specialization in either gladiatorial combat or the ancient Roman military.

*waves*

Salve, Domitia. Who do you re-enact with?

Salve Domitia,

As you are interested in gladiatorial combat you may have something in common with our member Medusa who is a long time gladiatrix re-enactor.

I didn't come across your group when I was re-enacting a few years back so how are you finding it and does it help with the combat archaeology??

Salve Domitia,

As you are interested in gladiatorial combat you may have something in common with our member Medusa who is a long time gladiatrix re-enactor.

I didn't come across your group when I was re-enacting a few years back so how are you finding it and does it help with the combat archaeology??

I've actually heard of Medusa, so that would be brilliant! I'm currently going to be portraying a priestess in the meantime, while I get trained and the kit together, as I'd been fighting against a few Celts up until now.

Ah; we're mostly in the North-East of Britain, although the group's done events further afield now and then. It does, yes. Re-enacting is a great de-stresser for me as well, and I feel more comfortable in kit than normal clothing.

Hi Domitia. If you do any events at any of the sites along Hadrian's Wall, please could you post them on this topic. All the years I've been taking groups along the wall, I've never been fortunate enough to coincide with a re-enactment event. You could put your other events on there too.

Hi Domitia. If you do any events at any of the sites along Hadrian's Wall, please could you post them on this topic. All the years I've been taking groups along the wall, I've never been fortunate enough to coincide with a re-enactment event. You could put your other events on there too.

Will do :) I know we're definatly doing Hardwick this year, but I think the rest are pending confirmation.

hail Ceasar

Ruanman seeking information on the timespan of deocletion /Marcus 300(ish)AD

curious about how the senate operated at that time and christion persecution

hail Ceasar

Ruanman seeking information on the timespan of deocletion /Marcus 300(ish)AD

curious about how the senate operated at that time and christion persecution

Welcome to UNRV Ruanman. As you may have noticed by now there are separate fora for different topics areas and there may be an existing thread on this topic. If you cannot find one pitch in with a question in an appropriate area and hopefully someone will be able to provide some answers or suggestions of where to look for more info.

It's been a while since I've welcomed our new members so here goes....... A big welcome to Roger55, amcroja, Erik Andrus, Daniel86, Dickonbard, Domitia and Ruanman.

Hope you enjoy your time at UNRV.

Kevin here

I am doing an ancient civs subject for year 12 as a break from the other science and mathematics related subjects I'm doing. In ancient civs, for the first half of the year, we are studying the late Roman Republic (from the time of the Gracchi brothers) and I think this website would make for a great way to find info and ask questions.