UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Hi

I'm Dan from Wales and registered here because I found the articles utterly fascinating. I am no history buff at all but I spent a good evening reading the fall of rome. We have a old roman fort and baths nearby (Caerleon) which I'm curious to look at.

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1

Ave, Quirites!

My name is Lewis Smith, and I am a history teacher and novelist from Texas.

I have a Master's Degree in history, but most of my course work was in modern European history.

It was only after I left college that I became fascinated with the Roman era, and I have read a great deal

about the late Republic and early Imperial era.  I am constantly seeking to learn more so that my writing

about this time period will be more accurate, and discovering this forum was an exciting moment!

I am also a pastor, and the era of Roman history surrounding the birth of Christianity is of great interest to me.

I am always interested in a solid, informative discussion of the historical background of my faith, but I'm not going

to flame anyone who disagrees with me and promise to be a respectful sparring partner to those who enjoy debate.

I have one novel in print already and two more coming out next year.  Two of them deal with Biblical archeology,

and (fictitious) discoveries that touch on the early history of the church.  But my second novel is set entirely in

the First Century, and so is my current work in progress.

I'll be touching base here frequently, with lots of questions for the resident experts, and I hope that I can also contribute

in some meaningful way. 

I enjoy reading both fiction and non-fiction works about the Roman era; I love Colleen McCullough's MASTERS OF ROME

series, as well as the excellent biographies by Adrian Goldsworthy.

If anyone is interested, my first novel is called THE TESTIMONIUM, published by Electio Publishing, and is available at

their website as well as Amazon and Barnes and Noble's website.  It's currently being considered by Hastings Book and

Movie Stores for nationwide distribution.

The second novel is called THE REDEMPTION OF PONTIUS PILATE, and it will be released July 7, 2015.

MATTHEW'S AUTOGRAPH will be out on Dec. 1, 2015.

• Like 1

Ave, Quirites!

My name is Lewis Smith, and I am a history teacher and novelist from Texas.

I have a Master's Degree in history, but most of my course work was in modern European history.

It was only after I left college that I became fascinated with the Roman era, and I have read a great deal

about the late Republic and early Imperial era.  I am constantly seeking to learn more so that my writing

about this time period will be more accurate, and discovering this forum was an exciting moment!

I am also a pastor, and the era of Roman history surrounding the birth of Christianity is of great interest to me.

I am always interested in a solid, informative discussion of the historical background of my faith, but I'm not going

to flame anyone who disagrees with me and promise to be a respectful sparring partner to those who enjoy debate.

I have one novel in print already and two more coming out next year.  Two of them deal with Biblical archeology,

and (fictitious) discoveries that touch on the early history of the church.  But my second novel is set entirely in

the First Century, and so is my current work in progress.

I'll be touching base here frequently, with lots of questions for the resident experts, and I hope that I can also contribute

in some meaningful way. 

I enjoy reading both fiction and non-fiction works about the Roman era; I love Colleen McCullough's MASTERS OF ROME

series, as well as the excellent biographies by Adrian Goldsworthy.

If anyone is interested, my first novel is called THE TESTIMONIUM, published by Electio Publishing, and is available at

their website as well as Amazon and Barnes and Noble's website.  It's currently being considered by Hastings Book and

Movie Stores for nationwide distribution.

The second novel is called THE REDEMPTION OF PONTIUS PILATE, and it will be released July 7, 2015.

MATTHEW'S AUTOGRAPH will be out on Dec. 1, 2015.

Hello!

I'm curious; do you teach Roman history?

I took an introductory course in the early '90s, and the instructor was upfront that some students became upset when he got around to discussing the Crucifixion. In our class, two students walked out in the middle of a lecture. Have you ever had difficulties like that? My instructor was being entirely factual, no bias whatsoever.

I teach Sophomore level World History at a small Christian school.  The only college classes I teach are basic U.S. history courses

at the local community college.

One of my favorite quotes, from a professor of mine back in the day, goes like this:  "There are no unbiased historians." The key to intellectual

honesty is letting students know what is fact and what is opinion, and never penalizing someone for having a different opinion than your own.

I have, on occasion, been accused of having a "man crush" on Julius Caesar, whatever that means.

Thanks! I will check it out!

Today I graded my World History students' exams over the Roman era. 

They did very well - the lowest grade was an 85.  If nothing else, they have learned a good bit about Rome from me.

Mission accomplished! Now on to those other Romans - the Byzantines!

Hi All!

I am somewhat new to the site, and am just starting a journey through Roman history and culture.

This site really does appear to be a valuable resource for self-directed learning. I do find it interesting

that this site originated as resource for enhancing game play of a computer game. Very nice!

On a personal note, I live on a hillside in beautiful East Tennessee, USA.

I will mostly be lurking/reading early on, unless i have questions.

Mort Rex 

• Like 1

Good evening all,

Having just signed up to the forum, I am looking forward to interacting and learning more about a subject I find fascinating !

Unable to update my profile yet (as it is saying that it is disabled), I will endeavour to get more information on there when I can.

Having been fascinated by the Roman Empire from an early age, I was able to fulfil an ambition a few months back by visiting Pompeii and Herculaneum. It has just fueled my need to discover more.

Look forward to interacting and discovering more

druidware

Welcome druidware! :)

glad to have you onboard

btw. updating will be able after a few posts

Hi Druidware - welcome on board. 

Did you vsit anything else in the area other than pompeii & Herculaneum?