UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Greetings,

This Forum is an excellent resource for Roman Empire information. Having explored

and excavated Roman ruins in Europe and the Middle East in conjunction with official

Diplomatic duties I believe this venue to be an excellent resource for the exchange of

ideas.  I am looking forward to Forum communications.

JohnK .  

Hello and welcome on board! :)

Hello all :)

Complete newbie to this forum. I teach Latin, Ancient Greek and Classical Civilisation at a secondary school in north London, hence the name.

I'm a huge fan of Ancient European and Near-Eastern history generally (Mesopotamian Empires, Egypt, Greece Rome etc.).

I've also been researching a historical novel set in Ancient Greece/Rome for about the last decade; at some point I'll stop using it as a thinly-veiled excuse to buy books, and actually write something :D

Edited by Magister

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm interested in the evolving story of Ancient Rome. At present my focus is on Late Republic into the Imperial era. I have a special interest Moneyers, Money Changers, money and the relative value of money. I'm not a scholar, just a history enthusiast.

My earliest vision of ancient Rome was formed before the great archeological discoveries of the past thirty-years or so. I tended to have a mental picture of Rome something like the movie "Cleopatra", but as new discoveries were made I think the HBO series "Rome" framed a more realistic vision of what life was like. Still, so many questions remain unanswered. 

I've had a chance to look over the resources of the UNRV and have found the 'Roman History' material to be enjoyable reading. I hope to get to know much more about this site.

Kindest regards, Yordie (pseudonym, female)

Hi everyone :)

I study Archeology at the University and of course I'm interested a lot in Ancient Rome. 

I think this site has some very good discussions and materials and I'm here to have access to both. Also, as an Italian I find great seeing how many people from all over the world joined this forum, having the same passion for Ancient History.

• Like 1

Hi just found your site today and what a great site it is! Lots of useful information and good to see that you have a number of professional historians and authors contributing, always a good sign.

Just a heads-up for the moderators. I've been reading a number of the book reviews and quite a few of the links don't work - they take you to the page titled "History of Ancient Rome" which lists a few of the most recent reviews but not the one I want. Click on the link to the review of Raoul McLaughlin's "The Roman Empire and the Silk Road" and you'll see what I mean.

On 3/19/2018 at 1:39 PM, Alexandros said:

Hi just found your site today and what a great site it is! Lots of useful information and good to see that you have a number of professional historians and authors contributing, always a good sign.

Just a heads-up for the moderators. I've been reading a number of the book reviews and quite a few of the links don't work - they take you to the page titled "History of Ancient Rome" which lists a few of the most recent reviews but not the one I want. Click on the link to the review of Raoul McLaughlin's "The Roman Empire and the Silk Road" and you'll see what I mean.

Hi Alexandros

Welcome to the site. I took over the site towards the end of last year and am currently re-designing, re-organising it etc which is why some pages are in the old format and some are in the new.. With over 1,500 pages to change it's proving quite a time consuming task to do it all in my spare time, so it's a bit of a work-in-progress at the moment but i'm slowly making progress. I'm aware of some broken links, particularly in the book review section (which is one day going to be re-done to make it easier to search). I was going to try and get all the pages into the new format first but as it's taking a bit longer than expected i might go back and fix the links in the existing pages before building new pages.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the site.

Peter

Hello!  I am Lewis Smith, historian, teacher, and author from North Texas.  Two of my historical novels are set in the First Century Roman Empire - THE REDEMPTION OF PONTIUS PILATE and THEOPHILUS: A TALE OF ANCIENT ROME.

• Like 1

Hello all, I joined UNRV in December and never introduced myself. I am an online broadcaster that focuses on the topics of history, politics, law, and religion. I hope to expand my knowledge on ancient Rome by being a member of this site.

Cheers.

Edited by E. I.Smith
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard!  I am a schoolteacher, pastor, and novelist. I have two historical novels about ancient Rome in print and am working on a third one.  This is a great place to ask questions and learn.  LOTS of knowledge on this forum!

I must be really late to this party, but whatever. :D I am an ardent admirer of Roman history who cherishes the times of the Flavii, the Ulpii, and the Aelii most, and I'd dearly like to write a novel or three set in this period (wannabe historical novelist is a dreaded species!), but I know a few things about the neighboring periods as well. Ego vox clamantis in deserto, perhaps, and a feeble vox to boot, yet still a voice.

Hi All, I am a computer & electrical engineer with PHD in Artificial Intelligence, explorer and researcher.

I have a personal passion for Ancient History, Mythology, Anthropology and Astronomy and in spare time investigates these subjects in depth.

Hello, my name is Lucas and I'm a game developer.

I graduated in History and got a master's in Art History.

I'm making a PC game about Ancient Rome so I'm here to discuss historical accuracy and stuff!

Welcome all you guys above. 

We certainly appreciate any input or opinions you may have to offer.

If you've researched this site, you can see we have posts going back from over a decade ago. Unfortunately, through attrition (a decade+ can be a long time) and frustration (because of a server upgrade and site crash) we are missing a few of our most active members. With time, I am confident they will be back.

That said, please feel free to contribute and learn with us all.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy
  • Like 1

Hello from a village outside of Ottawa, Ontario. I'm a veteran. My main interest is ancient philosophy, but I enjoy conversation on most topics from classical antiquity. I'm interested in all the philosophical schools and eras. I look forward to learning from you all here.