UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Hello all-

I've been fascinated by ancient history since childhood, and eventually translated that passion into a career, earning my doctorate in Greek and Roman History and teaching (mostly Roman) history to listless undergraduates. I recently transitioned from academia to public history, and began developing toldinstone.com, a website that explores ancient history through buildings and monuments. Hopefully, I'll be able share material from that site (and whatever other insights I might have) with the UNRV community. 

Garrett

Garrett: Looks like an interesting website. I'll have to explore it further.

guy also known as gaius

So thrilled to find this site! Roman history and its impact on our world has been my hobby for over half a century. I have MUCH perusing of existing threads before contributing but am looking forward to it. 

Bonus civis romanus sum, as I have been a moderator on the Klipsch Forums for 15 years (22,000 posts! 🙂) and long since past getting into dog fights or being suckered by trolls. 

I hope to learn a lot here, and perhaps contribute a wee bit. Certainly some fascinating questions I wish to pose to the learned members here.

Regards,

Dave

Good Morning.  Decanus has a special connection to me as my name is Dean. 

I am looking into something in relation to a Decanus. 

As a member of the forces, and a commander of ten "men", I am researching into what the crest would look like. 

I've been away from this forum for about 10 years but I am getting back into reading Roman history again.

Perhaps it's a trend across most internet forums, but I do notice the traffic is a lot lower than I remember.

Hey there UNRV family!

I am so happy to be here. I've been studying Ancient Rome since 2010, and somehow never stumbled on this site until recently! The first thing I did was purchase the wall map, and now I'm excited to engage more on these forums!

I am the author of "The Man with Two Names" and the upcoming "The Noise of War", a best selling series on one of my favorite Romans, Quintus Sertorius. I plan on writing about Ancient Rome for the rest of my life, and am so excited to have this resource to help me do that!

Thank, UNRV!

On 2/11/2019 at 11:24 AM, Vincent B. Davis II said:

Hey there UNRV family!

Welcome and please contribute. We always enjoy new posts. They don't have to be profound or insightful. Random musings are always appreciated.   😎

Edited by guy

Avete amicis,

I earned a B.A. in History, focusing on the Ancient World / Classical Antiquity, with a special love of the Roman Empire.  Since that degree is now also ancient history, I have lost much (one year of latin and I have "Ave, Caesar!  Morituri te salutamus!" to show for it.) 

I am glad to have found this site and its Forum.  

-  Bob

• Like 1

Hi SPQRBob… I share your interest in Rome, especially post-Republic and Caesar's impact of the future. 

Hello all,

I never studied history beyond A-level but I have always been fascinated by the Romans. I am lucky enough to live very close to Hadrians Wall. I have an interest in the wall itself as well as everything else the Romans left behind in Britain.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Quintus Maximus said:

Hello all,

I never studied history beyond A-level but I have always been fascinated by the Romans. I am lucky enough to live very close to Hadrians Wall. I have an interest in the wall itself as well as everything else the Romans left behind in Britain.

Quintus,

Welcome to UNRV!  I think that it is wonderful that you live near Hadrian's Wall.  Have you taken any photographs on your visits there?  I served in the United States Army in the late 80's / early 90's and was stationed in Germany for part of my enlistment.  One of the things that I enjoyed about exploring Germany was the close, almost casual connections between the Ancient and the Modern.  Over here in the States, we don't see that nearly as much.

1 hour ago, SPQRBob said:

Quintus,

Welcome to UNRV!  I think that it is wonderful that you live near Hadrian's Wall.  Have you taken any photographs on your visits there?  I served in the United States Army in the late 80's / early 90's and was stationed in Germany for part of my enlistment.  One of the things that I enjoyed about exploring Germany was the close, almost casual connections between the Ancient and the Modern.  Over here in the States, we don't see that nearly as much.

Bob,

Thank you, I haven't actually taken any photographs previously but I have a new camera and plans to get out to the wall over the summer months. I also plan on getting into the many Roman museums we have in the area. We are lucky in that respect. Many of the main roads in Britain still vaguely follow the old Roman roads particularly in Northumberland, many of them are ruler straight. as well as the architecture we have history's influence on place names. Being so far north we are lucky that a lot of the areas are undeveloped so original sites are still available to visit.

Hello there,

My interest in Roman history and classical antiquity goes back to my childhood and has re-emerged in recent years.

I'm developing a game taking place between late 3rd/early 2nd century BCE. I wish I had known about these forums earlier.

Hello all and greetings from Sydney Australia,

My name is Daniel and i am absolutely fascinated with ancient Rome. my background is Italian and my family is from Calabria. I have grown up in an atmosphere of tradition. My education first began in high school where I selected ancient history as one of my courses. Since then i have fallen in love. I have been a practitioner in martial arts from a very young age also and have been a chef as well for an occupation.

why does all this matter? I plan on adapting my life to a degree so experience Roman life. I plan on cooking roman dishes, practicing Roman martial arts (if there is a way to learn) and so forth. I figured this forum is a fantastic place to begin. well here we go...........

Hmm... am I at the right place? Anyway  as I have been away from good old UNRV for several years I thought I'd re-introduce myself as a lot of things will have changed and moved on since I was last here. As for me too - I drifted from Roman history, to  'late antiquity' and then into mediaeval and modern history and have come full circle back to my true historical love. I have also drifted from the North of England to Central France where there is of course just as much - if not more - Roman stuff than the North of England, albeit of a different nature.  It must be about 6 years since I last contributed anything, and probably 2 years since I last logged in. So - Hello!