UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

I'm a senior history major at Penn State, focusing on Roman history (by the time I graduate in May, I will have had 5 classes in Roman history). I plan on going to grad school to get an M.A. in Classical History, also from Penn State. After that, I'd like to get my PhD in classics, but from where, I don't know yet. Duke has a great program. Ideally, my choice would be Oxford, but I don't think I could ever get into there :(

my names andy i live in a small village called Hart in co Durham northern England,Hadrians wall is near me ,we used to play romans on it when we were kids with broomhandles for spears and bin lids for shields,hah the good old days. im 30years young my work is hard to explain but i make big armoured cables which go underground. interested in all history especially medievil england(edward III). this is one cool history site :(:D:P

Hello, Fafnir here, im 15 years of age and i live in the United States. I have a deep interest in the Ancient Roman Empire, and im looking forward to future mature discussions. Dont let my age fool you, im mature... usually... :thumbsup:

Hello, Fafnir here, im 15 years of age and i live in the United States. I have a deep interest in the Ancient Roman Empire, and im looking forward to future mature discussions. Dont let my age fool you, im mature... usually... :thumbsup:

Glad to have you, Fafnir. We're a pretty diverse, and growing group,so we gladly welcome new additions of all types. :)

Hi, my name is Elsie and I am interested in Roman Military History and I am also interested in the history of what Roman women got up to! Anyone got any idea of what they did during their day?

Hi, I'm a 22 y/o Australian. I actually work as an accountant. I'm on holidays at the moment and I came across this websight/forum. It's actually a dream for me, as I'm a bit of a nut with ancient (particulary Roman) history. I'm looking forward to having interesting discussions with all of you.

Hi, my name is Elsie and I am interested in Roman Military History and I am also interested in the history of what Roman women got up to! Anyone got any idea of what they did during their day?

Well, during the Early Republic they largely stayed at home. However, as we progress into imperial times they become considerably liberated, especially in the upper classes. They are able to move about and partake of many aspects of society.

One book I read even suggested that Roman women in the imperial era were as free as any women ever up until the feminist revolutions of this century. Read Daily Life in Ancient Rome by Jerome Carcopina for more info.

Hello all, Im a 24 year old man from northern england who has always had a great interest in the Roman Empire, mainly the military aspects of it.

Im not a history major nor did i get any education beyond High school level so im probably not as well versed in roman history as most people here. Still i hope to learn from the people here and maybe help discussions allong and help others out allong the way.

Right then, i will see you in there.

Hello all. My name is Dan and I am a 34 year old from a small town in the southern part of the USA. I do financial work within the field of healthcare. I am not a historian or any sort of academic. I am just a guy who enjoys history very much and has trouble finding anyone with any comparable interests to talk to about this sort of thing.

Welcome, Sulla, Tony and Dan. What's with all the history buffs in the financial field? Just so happens to be the same situation for me. Just a strange coincidence I guess.

Anyway welcome.

Thanks for the welcome primuspilus.

As for your question, I have a theory. I think financial types are more likely to have introverted tendencies. Not all of course, but I think its a stronger subsection of financial types than other professions. As such, its more likely to have people that are happy spending hours reading a history book even if their husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend thinks its the most boring thing in the world. :)

Thanks for the welcome primuspilus. Guess you just run a good sight for us financial guys (and girls) to escape the traps of our monotonous work :lol:

Actually, Dan's onto a point there. I mainly studied accounting as I was told there would be no work in history. So it's a hobbie now, which for some reason, hardly anyone in the real world takes part in. Well apart from other accountants (and who really wants to talk to them) :) .

See ya in the forums fella's.

Hi, Steve here (aka Lawrence T) ...

I'm an archaeologist involved in the Garrison excavations in Colchester, working on both the circus site and at the southern end of the Butt Road Roman cemetery. It's cold out there, but I wouldn't trade places with anyone at the moment. Fantastic stuff! I'm also frantically trying to set up a dedicated website - www.colchestercircus.com

The excavations continue until the end of Jan, followed by more geophysics and then . . who knows? What I do know however, is that there are plenty of people who support the notion of further study.

;)

Hi all! I've just discovered this site, and it looks really interesting.

I discovered a passion for Roman history when I picked up one of Colleen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" books in a second-hand book shop about 10 years ago, and I haven't looked back. I'm now an avid reader of anything I can get about the end of the Roman Republic and the beginning of the Empire. I've got Plutarch, Scullard, Gibbons, Tacitus and, of course, McCullough on my bookshelf (plus more!), and the collection's still growing.

I saw your "Nova Roma" site - that's a bit too 'out there' for me. But, this site looks great.

I won't give my real name (but if you know any Latin, you should be able to guess it from my nick), but I'm 36, Australian, and a business systems analyst by day.

Thanks for a great site. See you 'round.

I fully expect this question to sound stupid, but can someone tell me what "UNRV" stands for? I assume its a university, but I am in the dark.

Thanks.