UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

I flicked accross the start of this thread after some random googlisms and saw the word "beer" and the promise of it's supply within these pages. Since this time, i've browsed and read and begun to learn something about Roman History, and perhaps about the culture. That is, the culture of Roman history buffs (alright, who said nerds? Out I say!.) But ultimately, no beer. I'm ok with this, though. As I write I have half a bottle of red keeping me company while I immerse in discussions about dead people and their (not so) forgotten deeds.

To the matter at hand. No guarantees I'll be a fountain of new (or old.. er.. hmm) information, but rather, a hearty guarantee that I wont be.

"But Dogmatix!" you cry (Some of you may have cried "Look out for that potato!" but I doubt it), "What do you bring to our little womb of words?"

Interesting question

I look forward to finding out.

Guest Scanderbeg

I can't believe I ignored this topic. Well better late then never....until I finish my time machine.

Anyway I look forward to posting here often.

Hello all. Just stumbled into this remarkable website. My congratulation to the creaters. I have been waiting 40 years to have an intelligent exchange about things Roman. Question: Is there a protocal for joining these chit chats, or does one just jump in?

Oops. As just posted, I'm new. But having just read some of your posts I now realize I have failed to provide the short self-introduction that seems customary. So here's a bit: Im 63, live in New York City and been a fanatic for all things Roman for over 40 years. Spent much of the 1990's living and working in the crumbling Soviet Empire and was able to travel and visit many out of the way Roman and Byzantine sites (Hungary, Georgia, Armenia, Turkey). For many of these parts of the world "things Roman" still represents the high point in their long histories.

I am delighted to find this place and hope I may be able to make a contribution.

Konnochi wa mina-san ni yoroshiku onigaishimasu!!!

Hello everyone, it's a pleasure to meet you all!!!

Sorry if my Japanese is a bit off, I'm still learning.

I have been lurking on this site for a week now and have finally decided to register. In the past week I was lurking, I grew to enjoy this place and now I hope to enjoy it even more now that I can actually talk to everyone.

To tell a bit about myself, I am 22 and currently live in Toronto, Ontario; though I was originally came from Winnipeg, Manitoba. I am studying Japanese at Seneca College, but it is only a part time course. What I would like to do is to get into University to study more about Roman Civillization, Writing, Latin Lit. and Language. I have enjoyed reading about Rome since I was young and it never ceased to amaze and fasinate me. I must admit I do not know everything about Rome and my knowledge varies (but then who does), all I can hope for is that the seasoned veterans on this site can full in the gaps.

Thanks!

I only know one off hand, but it is my favorite one.

' Not to know what happened before one was born is to remain a child'

I read it in one of my old world history text books when I was around 16, and have been fasinated to learn more about him. I never had the chance back then nor the resources to aquire books about him; still it is something I plan on doing in the future, but I have other books and things to balance out first.

My favorite is when he's prosecuting someone for poisoning his dad with a piece of cake. Cicero delivers his opening, and the accused stands up and says "I'd like to give you a piece of my mind" Cicero responds "I'd rather have that than a piece of your cake!"

Hello everyone,

I am an enthusiast concerning Ancient Rome and am already quite active at another forum. Someone from that forum had pointed out this forum so I checked it out.

So here I am, I used the same nick as at the other forum where we all have chosen Roman names. Now I'll go and check the forum out more closely.