UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Welcome to UNRV Formosus Viriustus, hope you enjoy it over here. You're clearly already very knowledgeable about the Roman world so you'll fit right in.

Welcome and enjoy!

Salve Aurelia,

I see, I got it the wrong way round then. The Girl from Ipanema, no less. And now living in cloudy and rainy Belgium. I do pity you.

And someone from Brussels that does speak Dutch. That's unusual I must say. :D

But you weren't born there. That probably explains it. :)

Lol, yes, I used to live quite close to Ipanema, as a matter of fact.

As for speaking Dutch, well, it's probably not as good as it should be precisely because I live in Brussels but luckily I like French too. :D

My name is Marcella and I have loved Roman history and culture since I was a pre-teen. I didn't major in history or anything. I've just aways loved movies and novels about ancient Rome, and occasionally studying about Roman history. I majored in Spanish and minored in German in college and work in a graduate school in a West Coast university that is renowned for its technological research. The last novel I read about Romans (one of my favorites is Marcus Tullius Cicero) is "Imperium" by Robert Harris. I also love the HBO series, "Rome."

These flemish/valonian stings from the capital of the European Union and NATO are funny.

Welcome to all newcomers!

Salvete Bryaxis & Kosmo & Omnes,

Nice to meet another fellow countryman. And another Bruxellois / Brusseleer. If I'm correct, you are enjoying the sights and the weather in Campania for the moment. Well, it's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. I saw some of your pictures and a bit of your blog. And since you offered : yes, bring us all back a bottle of that excellent limoncella.

Yes, Kosmo, I see you are not one who minds a bit of controversy, we have an endless language-conflict-soap running here, since long before I was born. (When dinosaurs still ruled the earth.)

Best stunt ever was a bit more than a year ago when the Walloon TV Channel made a satirical program in the format of an extended special newsflash announcing that the Flemish had unilateraly declared independence, closed of the 'language-frontier', and what not. They did some quite clever things tricking politicians and prominent commentators into the play without them knowing exactly what was going on, editing old interviews in a misleading way, and so on. Nor was it announced in any tv guide.

Still, the satire was so obvious - they had border controls on the Brussels tramways, the Royal family had supposedly fled the country, and so on

Welcome everyone!

It's great to see so many new members lately!

Well Formosus in my part of the world, beautiful Central and Eastern Europe, we NEVER have this kind of problems :)

Just a week ago what started as political problems after elections in the Republic of Moldova turned in to violent protests with an ethnic flavor, then in a "brotherly" diplomatic conflict between Moldova and Romania and a stalinist political purge in Moldova that left several people dead and hundreds beaten in detention and now it's heading toward becoming another battleground between the West and Russia. The ideological problem is the question if moldovians are romanians, but in reality it's mostly politics.

Best stunt ever was a bit more than a year ago when the Walloon TV Channel made a program in the format of an extended special newsflash announcing that the Flemish had unilateraly declared independence, closed of the 'language-frontier', and what not. They did some quite clever things tricking politicians and prominent commentators into the play without them knowing exactly what was going on, editing old interviews in a misleading way, and so on. Nor was it announced in any tv guide.

Still, the satire was so obvious - they had border controls on the Brussels tramways, the Royal family had supposedly fled the country, and so on – that a twelve year old shouldn't have taken it serious for more than two minutes. But alas, not a few viewers got very alarmed, and started fearing for the worst .... this of course caused a whole new plethora of pro- and anti-unionist disputes and actions. So, alas, the program completely missed it's goal, I fear : the goal being to create a bit more understanding between the two communities by way of a bit of humour.

Valete bene,

OMG, I remember this so well! I didn't hear the news on the day itself but only the next day as I was coming into work. There were some people who were truly shaken by this. I actually thought it was brilliant - pity indeed that it failed to make people see beyond their petty disputes.

I know this is completely off-topic for this introduction thread, but here is the video of the spoof I found on You Tube. Pity I only found this with Dutch subtitles. There's also a short article and video on the BBC website.

Edited by Aurelia

Salvete iterum Omnes,

Yes, we are rather lucky, we Belgians, with our Never Ending Flemish-Walloon Wars : as far as I know, the worst casualties ever suffered during my lifetime were a few black eyes and bruises.

But most Belgian politicians spend most of their time in endless bickering over these kind of problems. And that does get on people's nerves. It's very tied in with how the Belgian state is organised politically.

But there's endless fun to be made about it too, of course.

Here's a few very short ones you might like, even if you don't understand the words.

Valete bene!

Salve Marcella !

My apologies to you for not doing so earlier, but welcome to UNRV !

I am quite new here myself, but I like it very much so far.

Lots of friendly, helpful and interesting people, you'll find out.

Hoping to hear some more from you.

Vale Optime !

Welcome all to the UNRV History Board!

Our intention is to make the greatest history site on the planet.

Please introduce yourself in this thread!

Stay on topic, and support Primuspilus in his duty as Moderator!

Enjoy yourself for great discussions on Roman History.

regards

Viggen

"Admin"

Best stunt ever was a bit more than a year ago when the Walloon TV Channel made a program in the format of an extended special newsflash announcing that the Flemish had unilateraly declared independence, closed of the 'language-frontier', and what not. They did some quite clever things tricking politicians and prominent commentators into the play without them knowing exactly what was going on, editing old interviews in a misleading way, and so on. Nor was it announced in any tv guide.

Still, the satire was so obvious - they had border controls on the Brussels tramways, the Royal family had supposedly fled the country, and so on