UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Hello everyone.

My name is centurion-Macro and I have been interested in history ever since I was a kid. My favorite is Roman history, which I always read about. I am especially interested in the Roman Legions and Navy. I like reading Roman fiction as well, like the Eagle series. I am not an expert with Roman history, but I am still useful in the discussions and I am willing to learn.

Welcome aboard, Centurion Marco!

-- Nephele

Hello everyone.

My name is centurion-Macro and I have been interested in history ever since I was a kid. My favorite is Roman history, which I always read about. I am especially interested in the Roman Legions and Navy. I like reading Roman fiction as well, like the Eagle series. I am not an expert with Roman history, but I am still useful in the discussions and I am willing to learn.

Welcome aboard, Centurion Marco!

-- Nephele

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to UNRV Centurion Macro,

The good thing about this sight is that we're all still learning too, Roman history is so extensive that I'm sure I as well as many others around here will ever be able to class ourselves as true experts on the subject so you're in good company!! :thumbdown:

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to UNRV Centurion Macro,

The good thing about this sight is that we're all still learning too, Roman history is so extensive that I'm sure I as well as many others around here will ever be able to class ourselves as true experts on the subject so you're in good company!! :thumbdown:

Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the welcome! I have already learnt much since I joined!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am academically associated with Ancient History, Archaeology, Anthropology, and Historic Geology.....

Now, I am a writer [published] and am writing, at this time, a book which takes place in Post-Roman Britain.

It is specifically about Ambrosius Aurelianus ca. aprox. 5th CE.

I am interested in all ancient history, have a group site "Egypt and Beyond", which includes all contemporary cultures inter-acting with ancient Egypt, as well as those around the world.

Of course, I am always interested in Roman History, as it plays such an important part of the development of many cultures and countries.

Thank you,

Jane/isis1037

Hi,

I am academically associated with Ancient History, Archaeology, Anthropology, and Historic Geology.....

Now, I am a writer [published] and am writing, at this time, a book which takes place in Post-Roman Britain.

It is specifically about Ambrosius Aurelianus ca. aprox. 5th CE.

I am interested in all ancient history, have a group site "Egypt and Beyond", which includes all contemporary cultures inter-acting with ancient Egypt, as well as those around the world.

Of course, I am always interested in Roman History, as it plays such an important part of the development of many cultures and countries.

Thank you,

Jane/isis1037

Welcome to the site!

Your book sounds good as well!

Hello, everyone

This is uuontario, as you can see from my log in name, I am from ontario, Canada. I was google on the net and tried to find something about Rome History. I just found out this forum 10 minutes ago.

I know nothing about Rome History but I am willing to learn from all of you.

My very first question is " What is the first book I should read about Rome history?"

Thanks a lot for your help

uuontario

Welcome aboard, uuontario!

My very first question is " What is the first book I should read about Rome history?"

Check out the suggested reading in our Quintus Libri forum here:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showforum=57

Hello, everyone

This is uuontario, as you can see from my log in name, I am from ontario, Canada. I was google on the net and tried to find something about Rome History. I just found out this forum 10 minutes ago.

uuontario

I welcome you to the forum, regardless, but you force me to ask... what brings you here if you "know nothing about Roman History"? I don't mean in any way to discourage, but you have me curious, is all.

Hello, everyone

uuontario

There is such a wealth of literature, be it the classics such as Polybius, Livy or Plutarch for example or contempary. My suggestion for a really balanced introduction to the first 700 years or so of Roman history is Philip Matyszak's "Chronicle of the Roman Republic".

This is packed with concise biographies of all the key players as well as explanations of the political and religious institutions of the period. This falls into the 'popular' history category and is consequently widely available, costing me, I think, about

My name is Russell. I am a student of history, mostly military, from time periods from Roman to current. I am mostly interested the devolpment of armies and soldiers.

I also like to look at the operational levels of campaigns, rather than individual battles ad nauseum. I have had 5 years of Latiin, but am real rusty.

Thank you for listening..

Doc

(I go by Doc due to a stint as a Hospital Corpsman stationed with Marines)

My name is Russell. I am a student of history, mostly military, from time periods from Roman to current. I am mostly interested the devolpment of armies and soldiers.

I also like to look at the operational levels of campaigns, rather than individual battles ad nauseum. I have had 5 years of Latiin, but am real rusty.

Doc

Welcome aboard!

-- Nephele

Doc

Welcome to the forum!

I am interested in military history as well. Which are your favorite battles throughout history?

Doc

Welcome to the forum!

I am interested in military history as well. Which are your favorite battles throughout history?

The Battle of Actium

Scipio Africanus operations in Spain.

Battle of Zama

Teutoberger Wald

Operations during the Crusades

Wellington in Spain

After Waterloo (in fact probably during it because of Nationalistic armies) I feel that battles take on less meaning to the overall operations (except to those who fought them), and thus I study more of why a battle was fought where it was, under what socio-political and physical environments. My most studied wars are the American Civil War and World War II.