UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

My name is Russell. I am a student of history, mostly military, from time periods from Roman to current. I am mostly interested the devolpment of armies and soldiers.

I also like to look at the operational levels of campaigns, rather than individual battles ad nauseum. I have had 5 years of Latiin, but am real rusty.

Thank you for listening..

Doc

(I go by Doc due to a stint as a Hospital Corpsman stationed with Marines)

Welcome to the forum!

I am interested in military history as well. Which are your favorite battles throughout history?

The Battle of Actium

Scipio Africanus operations in Spain.

Battle of Zama

Teutoberger Wald

Operations during the Crusades

Wellington in Spain

After Waterloo (in fact probably during it because of Nationalistic armies) I feel that battles take on less meaning to the overall operations (except to those who fought them), and thus I study more of why a battle was fought where it was, under what socio-political and physical environments. My most studied wars are the American Civil War and World War II.

Teotoberger Wald was a nasty battle. 3 legions is a lot to lose in an ambush I think.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

My name is Sandra and i am from Texas. I have a wonderful husband, three awesome children and 4 playful dogs. I enjoy reading about history and mythology.

Hello Sandra and welcome to UNRV. :clapping:

Hello,

My name is Sandra and i am from Texas. I have a wonderful husband, three awesome children and 4 playful dogs. I enjoy reading about history and mythology.

Welcome to the site Sandra!

~What Mythology stories do you like the best? my favorites are Homers Iliad and Odyssey.

That is as made for provoking me into a discussion about what the difference between myth, legend and epic is, CM. :clapping:

Anyway, welcome Sandra!

Thank you for the welcome :)

I think the story of Romulus and Remus is a gr8 story....i have read several variations...i wish i knew which was the version the Romans told their children.

San :)

I'd say that there was a bunch of different versions told, but that is a topic for another thread :blink:

• 1 month later...

Hey guys my name is Rob and I just discovered this website today. This place looks great and is right up my alley. I'm a big fan of ancient Greek and Roman literature and culture. Actually I'm interested in the history of Europe and Asia Minor.

As others have mentioned Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey are my favorites and have had a profound effect on me. Also love The Aeneid, The Epic Of Gilgamesh, etc, etc ,etc.

I still have a lot to learn and read and really have only scratched the surface. The humanities is something that has just recently "got a hold of me" lol. I love learning about it all...Alexander, Caesar's Civil War, Plato, I have a large interest in Troy and The Trojans in general. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for "Brave" Hector. Just so many great characters to love...Crassus (lol, what a guy eh?), General Pompey, Cicero, Marc Antony, Hera, Apollo, etc, etc.

At present I am reading Saint Augustine's "Confessions," and I started "The Rule Of Saint Benedict" last night.

So as you can see I have a wide and eclectic range of interests in Ancient/Classical and Medieval history.

Thanks for having me and I hope to post here on a regular basis.

Welcome aboard, Rob!

-- Nephele

• 1 month later...
Greetings all, I'm davus (sometimes "Dave" in breve), from the frozen semi-barbarian wastes of Britannia. My principal fields are population & economy, which are probably a little off the beaten track but will hopefully be of occasional interest.

Welcome aboard, Davus. Some of us hail from Britannia also!

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this is a normal thing to do, maybe there is even a thread for it that I have overlooked, as some forums have, or maybe not. But I'm new here, and I just wanted to drop in and say hi here rather than randomly starting to make posts.

I am very interested in history in general, but in particular Rome is one of my favourite subjects, but I'm by no means an expert. Actually, I'm just a student.

However, one thing that people tend to find interesting it that I collect Roman coins as a bit of a hobby. Are there any other classical coin collectors on here?

I'm not sure if this is a normal thing to do, maybe there is even a thread for it that I have overlooked, as some forums have, or maybe not. But I'm new here, and I just wanted to drop in and say hi here rather than randomly starting to make posts.

I am very interested in history in general, but in particular Rome is one of my favourite subjects, but I'm by no means an expert. Actually, I'm just a student.

However, one thing that people tend to find interesting it that I collect Roman coins as a bit of a hobby. Are there any other classical coin collectors on here?

Salve, Silvereel. As to coin collecting, you'll probably want to visit our newest sub-forum, Numismatica, which is for the discussion of ancient coinage ~ historical context, collecting and preservation.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy!

-- Nephele

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here!

~I don't collect coins, as I focus more on the political and military history of Rome.