UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Hey, I'm Andrew. I'm 16 years old (Yeah, pretty young ;) ) and I live in Washington state in the US (but born in Britain). When I'm done with highschool I plan on being a archaeologist. So yeah. Hi everyone.

Welcome to the forum, Andrew. I hope you enjoy your time here.

I just realized that, after being here over a year, I've yet to 'officially' introduce myself, outside of state where I'm from! How horrible of me...please forgive my ill manners!

Doc, here...well, not quite a doc yet...but just finishing my PhD in Romance Linguistics from the University of Texas (defense date is set for May, unless my professors decide to change it on me!). My main academic interests lie in historical Romance linguistics, focusing on lexical gender specifically, as well as gender and other nominal inflections generally. A secondary, but by no means less important or less studied, area of academic work deals with theories of language change. In fact, my dissertation deals with discussions of lexical gender in the history of the Romance languages.

BUT...the history of the Roman empire intrigues me, in particular as they are conquering the whole of their territory, and how they fused the 'Roman way of life' with that of the local cultures. I've only scratched the surface on that area, which is why my many questions often deal with those themes. Also, since many of my professors are Indo-Europeanists, the histories of the ancients (Hellenic groups and eras, the Anatolian area, etc.) fascinates me.

When not reading, writing, and editing, I teach Spanish at a couple of local community colleges. With luck, I'll eventually find a full-time, tenure-track teaching position. Oh, and I like :whistling:.

Edited by docoflove1974

Oh wow. I dont think I have ever left a formal introduction.

Well, better late the never; plus I think the riped well since I first came so its just as well.

I am Divi Filius(the artist formerly known as Scanderbeg, about 2-years ago...). Yes, I am a Son of a God, however, it has little to do with actually honoring my father, I simply want to aggrandize myself and thought "hey, might aswell take my dad with me!"

Actually I am a resident of NY(Eboracum Nova), 19 years old and currently a student at a local college which I wish to transfer from because its mostly business oriented. Next year I will be posting from a different location though.

My interest in Roman history was actually first sparked through a video grame(can you believe it?!?!?) about 2 and 1/2 years ago. After joining a local forumer I found myself spending less and less time on the game and more and more time on the history section. Finally I entered a book club which picked I, Claudius as the book of the month: I devoured it and made Claudius the God my desert (although the main course was the real seller). Afterwards I started spending more and more time searching history via the internet, eventually running into UNRV after I made a search for the Second Macedonian War.

The website and the books(the former aided in the search for the latter) set me on the path that I am on now: preparing for study in Classical Civilization.

Here I am now, far more learned then before but still learning and to tell you the truth there are few things which make me happier.

DoL :wub:, does all that babble boil down to your having a lexical gender change?laughing-smiley-017.gif

D.F., you're a god - too? Where do you hang out? In the Newtown Krik? :hammer:

:whistling:

DoL :wub: , does all that babble boil down to your having a lexical gender change?laughing-smiley-017.gif

You really must lay off the extra Pertimaxii...they're rotting every soft tissue you have!

Hello everyone! I can't remember how I got to this site (probably some obscure question I couldn't find the answer for) but it's been some time since I registered and even longer since I was a non-reg'd lurker. I'm a huge history buff and over the last year I've resurrected my interest in the Roman world. For me, this site has been THE place to come for answers hands down!

all the best!

Salve! ;)

I am new, I got inspired by Nephele giving me a roman name so I re-registered (duh!), though I had no previous posts before that. I am 26 years old, currently residing in Orange County CA, hopefully elsewhere soon, and my interest in Rome in general is quite recent even though I carry the genes and ancestry according to my maternal parents. A good friend of mine kind of stirred me towards this way in my personal studies and it's been amazing and fun during the whole process. I usually browse this board during my work hours, which is why I just now noticed the introduction thread. Other than that I tended to be quite biased, ahem, as my studies were grounded more on the Germanic/Celtic side of things, but once I started hitting the Celtic books it was inevitable that I would read up on the Roman texts. (and sorting through the fluffy/psuedo-history that is predominant in anything Celtic is migraine inducing!). So now my book wishlist is getting larger.

Said friend also convinced to go back to school and get a degree in Ancient History, duh. Otherwise, this is my hobby and passion, so I'm a bit slow and behind compared to everyone else. :)

Salve! :)

I am new, I got inspired by Nephele giving me a roman name...

I'm flattered that you chose to use the Roman name I blanagrammed for you, Serenilla Merula. Welcome! And your icon is a lovely representation of your cognomen!

-- Nephele

Well, hello. Welcome.

Salve! ;)

I am new, I got inspired by Nephele giving me a roman name so I re-registered (duh!), though I had no previous posts before that. I am 26 years old, currently residing in Orange County CA, hopefully elsewhere soon, and my interest in Rome in general is quite recent even though I carry the genes and ancestry according to my maternal parents. A good friend of mine kind of stirred me towards this way in my personal studies and it's been amazing and fun during the whole process. I usually browse this board during my work hours, which is why I just now noticed the introduction thread. Other than that I tended to be quite biased, ahem, as my studies were grounded more on the Germanic/Celtic side of things, but once I started hitting the Celtic books it was inevitable that I would read up on the Roman texts. (and sorting through the fluffy/psuedo-history that is predominant in anything Celtic is migraine inducing!). So now my book wishlist is getting larger.

Said friend also convinced to go back to school and get a degree in Ancient History, duh. Otherwise, this is my hobby and passion, so I'm a bit slow and behind compared to everyone else. :)

Im no writer so bare with me:

My name's Bob and i just joined the Forum today. Im a 21 year old History/Sociology Major living in NYC. I love everything about Ancient Rome, ever since i was 10 years old i have been infatuated with the place. My main intrest is in warfare, i find all warfare throughout history to be fascinating and i dont think it really gets any better then the Roman Legion. Ive read all the old historians and am currently teaching myself Latin so i could read it as it was written (i doubt there can be anything better then reading Caesar's Commentaries in Latin). I really really am exited for this forum, it would be nice to talk to others with similar likes, my girlfriend thinks im crazy especially when i told her that i wanted to name my 2 sons Tiberius and Gaius after the Gracchi (not that i plan on having kids anytime soon, or getting married for that matter, i am way way to immature to settle down and start a life). I a prolly gonna spend most of my time commenting in the Gloria Exorcitus cause thats what i spend my time knowing and what i find intresting. ooh also most of my knowledge comes from just book reading, although i have visited Hadrians Wall, Alesia and Masada.

As im sure u can tell im not a good writer, but i hope somewhere in that rant u get a picture of why i joined. and also i think this place is great :blink: .

Im no writer so bare with me:

My name's Bob and i just joined the Forum today. Im a 21 year old History/Sociology Major living in NYC. I love everything about Ancient Rome, ever since i was 10 years old i have been infatuated with the place. My main intrest is in warfare, i find all warfare throughout history to be fascinating and i dont think it really gets any better then the Roman Legion. Ive read all the old historians and am currently teaching myself Latin so i could read it as it was written (i doubt there can be anything better then reading Caesar's Commentaries in Latin). I really really am exited for this forum, it would be nice to talk to others with similar likes, my girlfriend thinks im crazy especially when i told her that i wanted to name my 2 sons Tiberius and Gaius after the Gracchi (not that i plan on having kids anytime soon, or getting married for that matter, i am way way to immature to settle down and start a life). I a prolly gonna spend most of my time commenting in the Gloria Exorcitus cause thats what i spend my time knowing and what i find intresting. ooh also most of my knowledge comes from just book reading, although i have visited Hadrians Wall, Alesia and Masada.

As im sure u can tell im not a good writer, but i hope somewhere in that rant u get a picture of why i joined. and also i think this place is great :blink: .

Welcome to our Forum, Crastinus. I sympathise with you regarding your girlfriend. I once swore I wanted twin boys and I would call them Drusus and Nero!

I am sure you will enjoy your time here. It is always good to have younger members aboard. I, personally, may not see so much of you, as I'm not an army buff, but I wanted to welcome you all the same.