UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Howdy, SPQR.

You'll find that perhaps the majority of people on the site, myself included, love the Late Republic through the early empire. So you're in good company.

Good luck on basic training.

I just registered on this forum, and thought I should introduce myself.

I'm Will, i'm 24 years old, and i'm absolutely fascinated with Roman History. My main period of interest in Roman times is the era of the Late Republic/Early Empire. I've read through a handful of threads on here though, and by the looks of things, i'm clearly going to be out of my league in many of these discussions, so i'm probably going to end up doing a lot more lurking/reading and question asking, then actually getting into in depth, detailed discussions!

I'm only going to be around for about 2 weeks, then i'll be taking an extended vacation from this place(I'm off to Basic Training from April 12th-July 17th), but i'll no doubt be returning soon after i'm done, because i'd like to soak up all the knowledge I can about this fascinating period in history, and this seems like as good a place as any to do that!

A big hello to tk421 and S.P.Q.R.

Don't worry if you think you may be out of your depth in some threads, you are not on your own that's for sure, I can certainly vouch for that! If you think you've something to add to the conversation whether you think it correct or not, just go ahead and post it, if it's not quite accurate then I'm sure somebody will very kindly correct you and point you in the right direction!

Welcome and enjoy!! :thumbsup:

Salvete,

I registered here already some long time ago but forgot my login name and since Ursus dropped by now on the board of Societas Via Romana, where I'm a member already for a long time, I thought, I register here anew. So here I am now :-)

I was alway interested in the history of Ancient Rome and started reenactment in 2005 as a gladiatrix. Since summer of 2006 I started with my own group and after a long time of hard training and lots of research on the topic of gladiators we had our first gigs last year. After we had been filmed on the first weekend of April by a local TV-team we look forward now to our gigs in June and August.

Welcome, Medusa! Gladiatrix reenactment sounds intriguing! Looking forward to hearing more about it!

-- Nephele

Salve,

Welcome, and I hope you become active here. :-0

Salvete,

I registered here already some long time ago but forgot my login name and since Ursus dropped by now on the board of Societas Via Romana, where I'm a member already for a long time, I thought, I register here anew. So here I am now :-)

I was alway interested in the history of Ancient Rome and started reenactment in 2005 as a gladiatrix. Since summer of 2006 I started with my own group and after a long time of hard training and lots of research on the topic of gladiators we had our first gigs last year. After we had been filmed on the first weekend of April by a local TV-team we look forward now to our gigs in June and August.

To my fellow country woman Aurelia : thanks again for your warm welcome. You probably know that SVR has a few Belgian members too. (The Founding Fathers, no less.) But they are not the most active ones. Well, not in the short time I have spent there.

Looking forward to hearing more from you all.

Valete Optime !

You are very welcome FV. I must admit I am also new to these online discussion boards having joined UNRV only 1 month ago. I have not been to SVR yet (although I have heard of it) so didn't know it was created by Belgians! I am looking forward to seeing you join our discussions.

Vale (or should I say tot ziens? :) )

Salve Aurelia,

Yes, the SVR is a very friendly place too. A bit more 'sleepy' than over here. More adapted to my pace, I guess. Just a few people that are really active there, but all well worth meeting (well, almost all) I can guarantee you. There has been quite a bit of movement between the two sites these last few days, initiated by your friend Ursus. So you'll see a few familiar names over there too, just as I have seen some here.

So, are you living in Brasil or what ?

I assume you are Dutch speaking ?

Out of courtesy to our fellow members I'll keep it to a minimum but I'll have to say :

'Leuk jou te leren kennen en vele hartelijke groeten'

In Amicitia,

Salve Aurelia,

Yes, the SVR is a very friendly place too. A bit more 'sleepy' than over here. More adapted to my pace, I guess. Just a few people that are really active there, but all well worth meeting (well, almost all) I can guarantee you. There has been quite a bit of movement between the two sites these last few days, initiated by your friend Ursus. So you'll see a few familiar names over there too, just as I have seen some here.

So, are you living in Brasil or what ?

I assume you are Dutch speaking ?

Out of courtesy to our fellow members I'll keep it to a minimum but I'll have to say :

'Leuk jou te leren kennen en vele hartelijke groeten'

Well, you seem to be doing just fine over here despite the faster pace. :)

Answering your question, no, I am not living in Brazil right now but I was born in Rio de Janeiro and lived there up to my early teens. My mother tongue is Portuguese but I speak Dutch too (although not perfectly). I have moved around a bit since then but now I live in the capital of Provincia Belgica (I have dual citizenship). I have even lived in Antwerp for a little while in the not so distant past! So we are indeed neighbours.

A.

Edited by Aurelia

Salve Aurelia,

I see, I got it the wrong way round then. The Girl from Ipanema, no less. And now living in cloudy and rainy Belgium. I do pity you.

And someone from Brussels that does speak Dutch. That's unusual I must say. :D

But you weren't born there. That probably explains it. :)

Welcome, Medusa! Gladiatrix reenactment sounds intriguing! Looking forward to hearing more about it!

-- Nephele

Sure I would like to tell you more about it but actually I didn't find any section so far here on the board where I could post any gladiatorial themed thread. Maybe you could tell me where I could do so.

-- Nephele

Sure I would like to tell you more about it but actually I didn't find any section so far here on the board where I could post any gladiatorial themed thread. Maybe you could tell me where I could do so.

Our historical reenactment forum is Repetere Actionem, a subforum of Gloria Exercitus.

Looking forward to what you have to post -- and pictures, too, please! :)

-- Nephele