UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Hello, my name is Robert and I live in North West Germany.  2,000 years ago this part of Germany was Roman territory, but just over the Rhine were the Sicambrians.

My relevant interests are the Roman empire, Jewish history during that time, the early history of Christianity, and Celtic culture.

Having found a few interesting articles, I thought I'd join to see what I can learn, and maybe pass on some knowledge to others.

And maybe improve my Latin, it certainly can not get any worse.

Thanks for the welcome messages.

GhostOfClayton, it was only a short trip (4 days, one of which was in Sorento).

I wanted to get to the museum in Naples, but fell short on time.

Although Pompeii was bigger than Herculaneum, I found the latter more interesting, I just wish I had read up on them both a bit more before going.

Regards

druidware

Hello, my name is Robert and I live in North West Germany.  2,000 years ago this part of Germany was Roman territory, but just over the Rhine were the Sicambrians.

My relevant interests are the Roman empire, Jewish history during that time, the early history of Christianity, and Celtic culture.

Having found a few interesting articles, I thought I'd join to see what I can learn, and maybe pass on some knowledge to others.

And maybe improve my Latin, it certainly can not get any worse.

Willkommen bei UNRV!

and glad you found our site :)

cheers

Viggen

Salvete, omnes -

I've been a member at UNRV for some time, but I rarely get over here.  Despite that AND because of that, I thought I would post a Hello once more.  Rome has been an interest for me (to whatever degree!) since I was a teen (a late 1960s teen) when I read Rex Warner's translation of Caesar's Gallic War.  And I have made some study of Rome and the Latin language since.  But I wanted to say hi, and say it especially to Ursus and Nephele, who greeted me when I first arrived here, years ago. 

• Like 2

Salvete, omnes -

I've been a member at UNRV for some time, but I rarely get over here.  Despite that AND because of that, I thought I would post a Hello once more.  Rome has been an interest for me (to whatever degree!) since I was a teen (a late 1960s teen) when I read Rex Warner's translation of Caesar's Gallic War.  And I have made some study of Rome and the Latin language since.  But I wanted to say hi, and say it especially to Ursus and Nephele, who greeted me when I first arrived here, years ago. 

Hello Decius,

great to see you here again! :)

Greetings all!

My name is Alexander and I live just north of Toronto, Canada.

I have always had a love of history, but I think it was after seeing I, Claudius in the late 70's that my interest in Rome really took off (and I see I am not the only one who loved that show :thumbsup: ). 

HBO/BBC's Rome (2005-6) really put my interest into overdrive, and despite a few historical errors I absolutely love that series and have watched it at least a half-dozen times. :-)

UNRV seems to be the most informative, best-researched and interesting website relating to Roman times I have seen anywhere I look forward to getting to know my fellow members.

Sincerely,

Alexander

Edited by Alexander
  • Like 1

Hi Alexander, welcome and thank you so much for your kind words

1. Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself.  I am a National Guard Soldier who is nearing the end of my career.  I am looking to the future and hope to turn my love and passion for history into a second career shaping young minds in the classroom.  I have been fascinated by the Roman Legions and Roman history since I was young.  I have long lurked on the boards and wanted to say Salve! 

• Like 2

as a way of introduction, i am -- and always have been -- a life long academic of all things Roman,
which, of course, has led me to this interesting website and forum of the late Republick and Empire
so admired and emulated by the many who await the Return of Romans greatness!

Palpatine.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome  darthrageous and Caius Malleolus

Hi!

I've been around for a while but I was never active. let's see if from now on I'm able to!

As a short introduction, I am an engineer from Bilbao, in northern Spain.

I've been interested in Rome, Legions and all the stuff since I got a roman galera for Christmas present being five or so :no2:. Recently I have taken it more seriously and I spend some of my free time reading about history, specially Rome.

Regards!

• Like 1

Hello me-dears, I feel a re-introduction is in order before I start picking your brains for more info. 

I haven't been on for a very long time. 

Regular contributors will know me as a pain asking lots of stupid questions about Roman life while I try to write books which touch on the subject. 

Should anyone feel the need to know what use their brilliant answers have been put to they will find my two children's books on Amazon Kindle 
Time Tunnel To Londinium, and Londinium Revisited are 99c/99p or free to anyone with Kindle Unlimited. 

If this is too much but you would still like to read them I will send the .doc to those who ask. UNRV is thanked in the credits 

The Time Tunnel books have now moved on and users of Anglo-Saxon history forums may now fear my rapacious need for tiny details, so you are safe there. 

However, I also wrote a much longer book now titled "Children of the Wise Oak" which features Celtic boys who venture to Rome and get into a spot of bother. 

The sequel to that book will focus on a rather striking woman attempting to keep an eye on Julius Caesar; which I have realised is going to be a literary tightrope if I am to maintain a shred of historical credibility. 

Why I didn't just write a straight fantasy is a mystery to me. 

Anyone who wants a link to "Children of the Wise Oak" is welcome to it. 

• Like 1

Greetings,

This Forum is an excellent resource for Roman Empire information. Having explored

and excavated Roman ruins in Europe and the Middle East in conjunction with official

Diplomatic duties I believe this venue to be an excellent resource for the exchange of

ideas.  I am looking forward to Forum communications.

JohnK .