UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welcome and Introduce Yourself Here

Salve Fatboy (nice name btw, lol)

don't worry we all have an inflated opinion of our own knowledge... makes for excellent discussion.

It hasn't been too heated yet, but we are working on it :)

I am quite often researching or writing articles for the content part of the site

Hey if you ever need any help with research or writing articles I can give you a hand as I do research for my own knowledge and am continually studying Roman history from various angles and have free time when I get my Latin and history classes done. You can email me at kenneth-meracle@uiowa.edu if you would like some help. Thanks.

Hi all,

I am a pastor of a small church in Michigan, USA. I am interested in Roman and Greek History because I love the time period. I am a particular fan of the Roman Republic. I am beginning a period of self education to prepare for a Ph. D. in this area so I began to look for a site that might discuss this area of history and found you guys. (Good info by the way and good references to different books.) looks like a great place to share information and discuss things.

I am interested in all aspects of Roman history, society, culture, politics, religion and military so I may look for comment on a variety of things.

Looking foward to it.

Hello Marcus and welcome to the forum. I am also a Michigander (possibly the most stupid geographic reference in history) hailing from the northern Macomb county area.

You may have noticed that we have a fairly large non or even seemingly anti-Christian population here, but rest assured that I for one at least, welcome all viewpoints on religion. My own rather harsh views may come across a bit on the aggressive side sometimes, but all are encouraged to express themselves openly here.

Look forward to debate and discussion with you... and to all for that matter.

I am quite often researching or writing articles for the content part of the site

Hey if you ever need any help with research or writing articles I can give you a hand as I do research for my own knowledge and am continually studying Roman history from various angles and have free time when I get my Latin and history classes done. You can email me at kenneth-meracle@uiowa.edu if you would like some help. Thanks.

Pompeius, anything that anyone would like to write and have published on the web is acceptable to us. Even if there already is an article on the subject and someone has a different perspective, we welcome it.

Of course we are technically a 'for profit' LLC, but that designation is the simplest way to protect our copyrights and allow us to earn enough cash to pay hosting, etc. So any contributions made may have Google ads added to them... but believe me we aren't raking in cash by the wheelbarrow full. :P

I just have always am studying rome and its empire. However, my expertise goes to about 31 BCE after that I have not yet studyed, but if you need any assistance before 31 BCE I would gladly help.

Hi all!

Thought I'd drop in and see what's going on here. My area of expertise is the Roman military and especially the navy of the empire. Hope to get involved in some interesting discussions here!

Greets

Jasper

You guys from Michigan, huh? I work for the company that does reservations for Michigan state park camping, as well as a lot of other service contracts for a lot of other State governments. But, you'll forgive me for saying this and nothing personal against you guys, I've found the Michigan people to be the worst of the lot when they call in to our company's customer service line. They seem to be fanatics when it comes to their summer recreation facilities. I think everyone in our company wants to drop a nuclear bomb on Grand Haven and Ludington, we're so fed up with it.

Anyway, I don't consider myself militantly anti-Christian. But some of us here do practice different religions and we're not always going to agree with the Church's official view of history. It's as simple as that.

Hi all!

Thought I'd drop in and see what's going on here. My area of expertise is the Roman military and especially the navy of the empire.  Hope to get involved in some interesting discussions here!

Greets

Jasper

Welcome Jasper,

A naval expert is a welcome addition around here.

Your name sounds familiar from RAT?

Hi! It's very interesting forum! I think I can get a new knowledge about Roman history and possible share by my own. Many topics are interested for me but especially architecture and military art. Also psychological moment is interested: how can a person change History. Is it possible or no?

I very glad to be involved in a discussion of any topics.

I bring apology for my English; I take the effort to improve it.

Best regards

hello Lacertus and welcome to UNRV...

dont worry about your english it is very good...

cheers

viggen

Guest Bluestreak

Hi this is Bluestreak

I've never been on one of these sight..trying to help my kid with some homework.. thought you all could give me a hand at this!

1.What was the actual government during the time of Mt Vesuvis erruption?

2. What was the statement toward the people?

help from a mom that never did anything like this before......

Hi Bluestreak, welcome.

1. The actual government at the time of Vesuvius was Imperial. Titus was sole emperor, having just succeeded his father Vespasian by a few months before the eruption.

2. Here is one sampling... from Suetonius: Divus Titus, c. 110 C.E.

"In these many great calamities he (Titus) showed not merely the concern of an emperor, but even a father's surpassing love, now offering consolation in edicts, and now lending aid so far as his means allowed. He chose commissioners by lot from among the ex-consuls for the relief of Campania; and the property of those who lost their lives by Vesuvius and had no heirs left alive he applied to the rebuilding of the buried cities."

and another From Cassius Dio Book 66 chapter 24

Titus accordingly sent two ex-consuls to the Campanians to supervise the restoration of the region, and bestowed upon the inhabitants not only general gifts of money, but also the property of such as had lost their lives and left no heirs. As for himself, he accepted nothing from any private citizen or city or king, although many kept offering and promising him large sums; but he restored all the damaged regions from funds already on hand.

I and am an office worker in Australia. I have been getting increasingly interested in all things Roman over the last two years, and like primuspilus, try to read anything I can get my hands on. I live in Melbourne. No kids. 30 years old. I found the forum when searching for something I don't already know about Caesar(the first ), and pleasantly found that there's still plenty to learn. I've been trying to wean myself off Rome Total War, as all my spare time was dissappearing into it. I like the friendly nature of most of the posts I've seen, and living in Australia, it's a great way to speak to people who actually live near Roman sites I've only dreamt about seeing.