UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hi

I think the original topic ended quite sourly and I would just like to create a better end to the topic.

Both empires were EXTREMELY powerful and motivated and whichever army won the battle wouldn't really win.... because both armies would probably fight to the very end and basically annihilate each others army. So the 'winning' sides finest army will pretty much be destroyed.

So in the end....it's a DRAW

I never got to add the last post I wanted to add to that thread.

I am satisfied with the description of the Roman shield having metal on the edges and being mostly wood. Many armies banged on their shields, the Romans banged on their shields in unison, at least in their heyday.

I think geography is the most important factor in evaluating the armies. The Romans and the Greeks used heavy infantry because of the mountainous terrain they came from was ill-suited to cavalry. This is seen in the wars agains the Parthians - the Romans won when they fought in the mountains of Armenia.

In open field, the Romans would be toast against the Chinese.

Guest hotcalebfc

Hey, i'll bet on the Chinese, cuz of their numbers, their art of war, their skill, weaponry, calvary, and stuff...

For example: why Mongol will conquer the almost all asia and europe? cuz they have numbers, chinese fighting technology, and they adopt chinese style of fighting, they trashed Caliph's Muslim army easy... when mongols advanced to Austria, they beat the german with a pocket trap, so most of the german knight die from arrow barage before they can make contacts with the mongols...Roman has some good fighting skill too, but thier legion never make a good use of calvary, so when the huns came from Asia...the Romans are in troubles..

The war college thing - did China have this? Just because someone wrote a book on the art of war doesn't mean they did.

It could be a big advantage - the reason the German army was so effective in World War II was that they had war colleges for the training of their officers. The post war U.S. military is modeled on the pre-war German one.

The Mongols never had a numerical advantage except when they invaded Europe. They were almost always badly outnumbered.

:2guns: Fatboy for starting this (even if it was a joke)

:sniper: Chinese Forum for inventing this topic

Alright im good, you may continue. <_<

"The war college thing - did China have this? Just because someone wrote a book on the art of war doesn't mean they did."

That depends on whether you would write a whole book for your own pleasure or not<note: people don't write as easily back then, no pencil or paper, hint, hint.>

"The Mongols never had a numerical advantage except when they invaded Europe. They were almost always badly outnumbered."

Yes, does ANYONE know why so many people thinks that the Mongols only won through numbers? I don't see any history books stating this so far, so I don't get where this rumor came from. Although they did have there fair shares of defeats as well, almost as much as their victories, but somehow most sources never mention these.

"Fatboy for starting this (even if it was a joke)

sniper.gif Chinese Forum for inventing this topic"

Fatboy has feelings and as far as I can tell it's the Civilization Fanatics forum that made it. If you really want to look into it the whole discussion probably began when both empires began to know the existence of the other side, so we might as well blame them for existing <_<

Really, I don't see why this discussion should be locked, unless people starts pissing each other off.

Fafnir,

QUOTE " :2guns: fatboy for starting this(even if it was a joke )"

;) I agree! I should be strung up! As soon as I saw reply's coming in on this thread I thought to myself " what have I done?......"

My attempt to be funny has ressurected the monster! <_<

You might want to dust off that locking finger of yours Primuspilus............I think its time to put this baby to bed

Apologies to everyone for inflicting the nightmare upon us once again :D

as far as I can tell it's the Civilization Fanatics forum that made it. If you really want to look into it the whole discussion probably began when both empires began to know the existence of the other side, so we might as well blame them for existing ;)

Really, I don't see why this discussion should be locked, unless people starts pissing each other off.

I blame you for saying that. <_< Lol just kidding.

How can i piss you off so PP can lock this thread, Anthrophobia?

EDIT: And yes, Fatboy, shame upon you! :D

That depends on whether you would write a whole book for your own pleasure or not<note: people don't write as easily back then, no pencil or paper, hint, hint.>

You are correct. The notion of a college without a printing press is absurd. Obviously, education predated the printing press but it wouldn't have been anything like I was thinking.