UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Primus Pilus

Creative Writing Contest

UNRV.com is excited to announce a 'Creative Writing Contest' for Roman era related short stories. There is no reason for the contest other than to promote literature, especially as it relates to historical fiction.

The contest entry period begins February 17, 2005 with submissions required before March 9, 2005.

Entries should be emailed to primuspilus@unrv.com, and must include the writer's name. (Address and additional information will only be required for the presentation of prizes, if applicable). 1 prize per participant, but multiple entries are allowed.

The rules are fairly simple. The concept is 'A Day in the Life of Roman Britain, circa 180 AD.' This rather generic term should NOT be taken literally. Your story can have anything to do with life in Roman Britain in 180 AD, and doesn't need to describe a single day. The story can relate to a Roman Legionary (as in my own example provided below), a Celtic villager going fishing, the building of a road, Pictish raiders advancing on Hadrian's Wall, a servant maiden in a large Roman villa or anything that could possibly happen in Roman Britain at that point in history.

The story should be between 500 and 1,500 words (roughly, about a single typed page) and in English (use of foreign terms for coloration are encouraged, however). Proper spelling (English or American, no preference), grammar and punctuation may make the difference between prize placement, (so try to use spellcheckers) but for the most part we will be very lenient, and don't want to discourage entries from those who aren't native English speakers.

Submitting a story automatically grants UNRV.com the right to publicly display winning entries either on our forum at www.unrv.com/forum/index.php, on individual web pages within unrv.com, and/or at www.roma-victor.com

The stories will be judged by the unrv team members, known commonly as Primuspilus (me), Viggen and Moonlapse. They will be judged primarily on literary excellence (essentially meaning, 'Is it a good story') which will be arbitrarily decided by the judges. ;) However, if there is a 'photo finish' we may put the stories in question up for a vote by the joint communities of unrv.com and roma-victor.com to give a final stamp of approval.

Prizes

1st prize:

First choice of the following books:

my sample entry.. judges can't enter ;)

Marcus woke in a blurry fog, head spinning and stomach churning. The dream of blooming heather, rolling hills and the scents of spring, replaced with something

Not a bad effort PP, in fact I was just getting into it when it ended! :)

Yeah me too :) the competitions a good idea,think ill give it a try :P L

As my wife said after reading it... 'it's not terrible' LOL thanks dear.

I also want to personally thank Spartacus for several prize contributions... 2 coins and 2 books, and essentially for coming up with the idea in the first place. :P

I just hope we get enough entries so we can give all this stuff away. :)

Ok Primulius I will take up your challenge on the short story because I want the map without having to pay that ridiclious price you have for it and of coarse the coin and book are important too!

lol

Sorry about spelling, hopfully you have my short story in a couple days.

Zeke

because I want the map without having to pay that ridiclious price you have for it

LOL, sorry Zeke, it's unfortunately quite expensive to print print maps that big (24 x 36"). To print one, most shops want at least $60, so we had to print alot more than we needed to make it cost effective... and well, with postage and poster tubes, and the cash we laid out, we needed to charge a higher price.

Anyway, I look forward to your entry, and want to encourage anyone and everyone to try as well.

:ph34r:

yeah I still have to write is so much other work I need to do

Zeke

I will be posting pictures of the prizes with a bit more detail before the contest is judged so winners can make a better choice :)

Since my specialty is pre- Punic Roman history and have not studyed late Roman Empire yet, will there be anymore writing contests with some different topics.

Woops, sorry Pompeius, I missed this earlier. It sort of depends on the reponse to this one. Perhaps we'll try some different things too.

By the way, a little more than a day left...

Guest spartacus

I hope it can become a regular fixture!

Perhaps the next competition could be an imaginary Senate Debate!

If so, I will again donate more prizes!

How about it PP and Moonlapse?

:)