UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Primus Pilus

Creative Writing Contest

This is the last day for people to send in their entries!

Once they are all in, please give us some time to read them, re-read them, try to be fair and impartial judges, compare notes... etc. (I just realized that this could actually really upset some people... oops! LOL, well, we hope not anyway, the whole idea was really just meant in fun.)

In the meantime, I will get some photos of the prizes up over the weekend. (I hope :D )

Guest spartacus

Its Sunday and still no promised photos of the prizes ! :rolleyes:

Wonder how the judging is going?

Judging is difficult... but there are some excellent entries. Thanks to all those who participated. We will do our best to get some results very soon :rolleyes:

In the meantime here is some prize info...

Books

Legion signed by Bill Altimari (MATT)

Lion's Brood signed by Rafael Scott (LEE)

The Last King by Michael Curtis Ford (MATT)

Imperial Governor by George Shipway (SPURIUS)

Hannibal by Ernle Bradford (JASON)

A Pocket Guide: Roman Wales by William Manning (JUG)

Coins:

Commodus Provincial AE

177 - 192 AD

Minted under Caecilius Maternus

Obv. AVT KAI AVP KOMODOC

Rev. HGE MATTERNOV NIKOPOL PROCI

(MATT)

Gordian III Antoninianus Obverse

Gordian Reverse

238 - 244 AD

Obv. IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG (radiate head of Gordian)

Rev. FORT REDVX (Fortuna seated. Coin refers to departure for the Persian War)

(SPURIUS)

Aurelian Antoninianus Obverse

Aurelian Reverse

270 - 275 AD

Obv. IMP AVRELIANVS AVG (Aurelian radiate crown)

Rev. CONCORDIA MILITVM (Aurelian and Concordia clasping hands)

(LEE)

Constantine AE 4 Obverse

Constantine Reverse

307 - 337 AD

Obv. DV CONSTANTINVS PF AVG (veiled head of Constantine)

Rev. VN MR (Constantine Standing)

Posthumous issue celebrating the life of Constantine

(JASON)

Valens AE3 Obverse

Valens Reverse

364 - 378 AD

Obv. DN VALENS PF AVG (Valens)

Rev. GLORIA ROMANORVM (Emperor walking holding labarum and dragging a captive)

(MATT)

Commodus Denarius Obverse

Commodius Reverse

177 - 192 AD

Obv. M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT PP (Commodus laureate head)

Rev. ROM FEL PM TR P XVI COS VI (Roma seated, holding victory and spear, shield by her side)

(JUG)

Aurelian Coin is by far my favorite......Commodus is really old....the others I am not really intrested in. HHahahah good luck on the judging.

Zeke

No not really.....complimenting on the coins.

(secretly I want the Aurelian one!)

Yep, just complimenting,

Zeke

The decisions are made... but... just waiting for the pages to be ready for publishing, so we can announce the winners and let everyone read all the entries at the same time.

Edit: I have been informed that we will be ready tomorrow (Thursday) :D

Guest spartacus

The suspense is killing me !! :lol:

Drumroll please ........... :P

Finally! We are pleased to announce the winners... and share the entries from the first UNRV.com creative writing contest. Sorry for the delay to all who participated, but it took some time to try to get it right. :lol:

In all we received 13 entries, which is a few more than what I originally expected. Hopefully we can expect this to grow in small increments in the future.

First, before we announce the winners, we want to express how difficult the judging was. While all 3 judges felt fairly strongly about the top 3 (even though we had to argue a bit about their final order), we really had to struggle to pick 4 through 6. Unfortunately, a few have to go without a prize because that's how contests go, but I'm not being patronizing when I say we really enjoyed the different styles and stories. Each entry offered its own unique creativity and picking the supposed best from a wonderful lot was actually a bit of a burden. You all really made an excellent first impression and I hope you are willing to continue writing in the future. As my wife said to me, 'It takes guts to share your creativity with the world,' and everyone must be applauded for their efforts.

So Thank You to everyone who submitted an entry to our little contest!

(We also received a few comments about various restrictions on length and subject matter. Future contests will likely be much more 'free form' in length and subject matter (still about ancient Rome though) so submissions can match the strengths of the authors.)

And now for the winners!

First Place Changing Times by Lee Dixon

was a close contest between 1st, 2nd and 3rd but this one received 2 first place votes. It was a bit long on length, and a bit on the 'scandalous' side lol, but two judges liked it too much.

Second Place Conall, by Jugurtha

Third Place 'Memorial Inscription', by Spurius

We really liked the tie in to actual archaeology.

Fourth Place A poem by Matt Gallivan

There were two poems entered and we were impressed by both. The style really fits an 'ancient' theme and this one stood out.

Fifth Place Favonius by Jason (Favonius Cornelius)

Sixth Place Publius by Matthew Deliso

All entries in submission date/time order: Submission #2 Roman Diary, Submission #3 Centurion, Submission #6 The Darker Patrols, Submission #8 A Poem, Submission #9 Celtic Blossom, Submission #10 Future of Briton, Submission #11 Roman Short Story

Winners will be contacted by email, but will need to post here to claim the prizes for public awareness. Winners will also need to reply by email with address info and repeat their claim for verification purposes.

Congratulations and thank you to all!

And thanks again to Rafael Scott, Bill Altimari and forum member Spartacus for various prize donations. The rest are courteous of UNRV.

Wow, I honestly did not expect to win. Thanks for that, and forgiving the slightly excessive length, I got carried away....I feel like its the oscars...I'd like to thank my parents etc....

I have to say that, having read the other winners, I was lucky and anyone could have tipped the scales, IMHO.

Prizes - I'd like Lions Brood by R. Scott and the Aurelian coin if that is ok?

Thanks to everyone who contributed a prize.

Lee :lol:

Guest spartacus

Congrats to you Lee, and very well done! :lol:

As PP has said hopefully in the near future there may be other competitions for Forum Members to enter

Guest hkelukka

From what i've read (not all) of the competition entries, its a honor to lose to someone like you leed :lol: i'm just suprised my work is even mentioned ^_^; (if someone wants to read it its the roman diary), and if you do read it i would appreciate comments posted here or as PM's, i like to hear what people think of my writings. (excuse my shabby yoda like grammar right now) :P

That's some excellent writing, Lee! :lol: Very funny too!

Read all the entries and I must say you can actually sense the joy people had when writing this stuff. I'd definitely want to see more of those. Especially liked the epic poem. That genre is really hard to write and keep it interesting.

Thank you for the appreciation.

Prizes: er ... the pocket guide to Roman Wales and the Commodus denarius, if possible. (Excellent prizes by the way!)

- JUG