UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Motorway Maximus

It was a route once trod by legionnaires as they marched across a conquered land.

But, eventually, the Romans left Britain and the magnificent highway they created was reclaimed by nature and seemingly lost for ever.

Now, some 2,000 years after it was built, it has been uncovered in the depths of a forest in Dorset.

And, remarkably, it shows no sign of the potholes that blight our modern roads.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1D792NR43

And the map at the end of the article proves once and for all how straight the Romans built their major roads ;)

True, and in my area, the course of a Roman road heading from Durocornovium to Cunetio (Swindon to Marlborough) is clearly visible not only in the road that follows the same path, but the minor road that continues the course over the ridge just north of the Kennet Valley, which can be seen from a long way off.

There are of course exceptions to every rule :)

Good finds both by Mr Addison, and by Mr Paulinus Maximus.

There's an excellent Roman Road called Sarn Helen. I walked a little of it when I was doing the Brecon Beacons Way, and I reckon that short stretch is in better nick than most in Brtitannia, but doesn't get the attention because it's so remote.

I read the thread title and thought maybe the circus maximus was restored and used for race car driving. LOL