UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Lanista

Boudicca's Daughters

So wiki says that Boudicca's daughters were called Heanua and Lannosea.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_were_the_names_of_Queen_Boudica's_daughters

But a google on the names doesn't dig up any classical references...what do we reckon. The answer above must have come from somewhere - I'm wondering what the source is. Can any Romano-British experts help?

Cheers

Russ

If they were going to be anywhere, surely they would be in 'Annals'. You can bet your bottom dollar that Tacitus doesn't actually mention them there, and so at some stage, someone's written a semi-fictional account requiring the naming of names, and chosen those two. Someone (from that fictional work) has then taken it as fact.

The worrying aspect of this is that if you Google the names the earliest datable reference seems to be from 12 Jan 2010 in Yahoo Answers which claims to have found the names on a website.

I suspect that the 'real' source is a Teen literary magazine which has a 3 part story propounding these names that classifies itself as 'Teen Ink: magazine, website & books written by teens since 1989'.....

Oh boy what a super-duper literary source that turns out to be! :blink:

You could make up a couple of names yourself, and trace their growth and movement through cyberspace using Google. 20 years down the line, they could be the de facto standard believed by all.

I went for Andraste for the main one. The other one I'll probably use Lannosea for the younger one now, though.

You guys at UNRV are legends, by the way.

Cheers

Russ

Please don't compound this fallicy on Wiki Answers by using names that have already been used in fiction.

The more different names circulating the better - apart from anything else it can lead to years of arguments in the next editions of Trivial Pursuit :P

I would have thought only marginally different if at all from one correct guess - how do you compute vanishingly small? B)

They are called "Noclue" and "Outofthinair"

...i just hope that people that search for that find this forum thread,

you shall not trust answers.com, yahoo.answer etc...

cheers

viggen

Andraste was a Celtic war-goddess, so I doubt that Boudicca would choose that name for her daughter. As far as I know the Celts, like the Romans, did not normally name their kids after gods. (Though oddly enough both gladiators and prostitutes sometimes used divine pseudonyms.)

Not only do we not know the names of Boudicca's daughters, but the name Boudicca itself might mean something like 'priestess of the goddess' and not be the lady's name but her job description.