UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
yoyopa

Cinncinatus-part Time Leader

I didn't realize that it wasn't uncommon for 'dictators' of the Republic (early Republic?) to stay in their position only for 6 months. But then what happens to them? You and PP mention immunity...do they get to partake in the senate?

Only ex-consuls were eligible to be elected dictator, so all dictators were already senators to start with. Also, the dictators I cited span well into the middle Republic, though thankfully the office had a bit of dust on it prior to Sulla.

An interesting aside... since members of the senate were required to convene on specific days, or else be subject to fines, it would seem that all those who truly 'retired to private life' did so in actual practice and not just in theory. Therefore, it would seem that Cincinnatus was not actually a senator at the time of his recall, though he was still obviously an ex-magistrate.

An interesting aside... since members of the senate were required to convene on specific days, or else be subject to fines, it would seem that all those who truly 'retired to private life' did so in actual practice and not just in theory. Therefore, it would seem that Cincinnatus was not actually a senator at the time of his recall, though he was still obviously an ex-magistrate.

Interesting. Might be worth checking other dictators too for their post-career moves.

I didn't realize that it wasn't uncommon for 'dictators' of the Republic (early Republic?) to stay in their position only for 6 months. But then what happens to them? You and PP mention immunity...do they get to partake in the senate?

Only ex-consuls were eligible to be elected dictator, so all dictators were already senators to start with. Also, the dictators I cited span well into the middle Republic, though thankfully the office had a bit of dust on it prior to Sulla.

BTW, are you trying to say that Parson Weems LIED about the cherry tree incident?!

Noooooooo...he didn't lie...just...um...creatively wrote? :lol:

This topic is interesting in and of itself, let alone the other aspect that PP just brought up. Outside of the primary sources, any other recommended reading on this aspect of the Republic?

This topic is interesting in and of itself, let alone the other aspect that PP just brought up. Outside of the primary sources, any other recommended reading on this aspect of the Republic?

On the office of dictator, that epitome of truthiness, Wikipedia, has a nice piece here. Or, better, there's the entry in Smith's Dictionary here. Finally, here is Smith's deflationary account of Cincinnatus' career.

That first Smith entry looks wonderful...I'll have to print that off and read it later. But who know that Wikipedia has a gem or few!? Thanks, MPC!