UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Swedish genes similar to Brits and Danes: study

Swedes have a similar genetic make up to the Danes and the British, although variations between those living in the south and the north of the country are greater than once thought, a new study shows. An extensive genetic survey of researchers in Sweden and Finland shows clear variations between different parts of the country and indicates that Swedes are closer to Brits and Danes genetically than to Finland. The significant differences between Swedes and neighbouring Finns has surprised researchers, as Finland and Sweden were united for several hundred years....

...read the full article at The Local

Why is it such a surprise? As I understand that unlike the Swedes, Danes and Brits the Finns doesn't have a North Germanic ancestry.

I believe they were suprised because those two countries (Finland, Sweden) were one for several hundred years...

The significant differences between Swedes and neighbouring Finns has surprised researchers, as Finland and Sweden were united for several hundred years. "It is both strange and interesting that the genes are so linked to language. It may be that if we speak different languages, you are less likely to jump into bed with one another," said Per Hall, Professor at Karolinska Institute, and one of the researchers behind the study.

I seem to recall that the Goths were supposed to have migrated out of Sweden.