UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spartacus

Roman Bloodlines

Guest spartacus

There are many theories as to where the Romans were descended from - one article I have read in a History magazine suggested they were descended from the Moors!

With their dark hair and eyes I can see why that theory was suggested!

Your thoughts please?

Sticking to my religious ways but also to some historical fact, the Romans could either be of two people....orignially an Indo-European shepard tribe that settled on the Tiber River or they were originally Trojans/Phonecians or Greek that were led by the Trojan Hero Aneas fallowing the aftermath of the war spoken by Homer in the Illiad; that settled on the Tiber.

Sorry about spelling,

Zeke

"Thats compleate myth" thats an opinion, Though I agree more with the theory of the Romans being an Indo-European tribe of shepards.

What a Histori magazine published the mentioned theory?

The colour of hair and eyes could be the results of later assimilations.

Guest spartacus

The BBC History magazine!

and yes they could, I never said they could not!! :D

Zeke I am not bashing your pagan beliefs, but archaelogical evidence has been found and analyzed by leading historians. There are parts of the myth that might be correct, but as far as the Roman people being descended from Aenas, a trojan prince, has been found to most likely be completly false. And a lot of Roman myth is copied from the Greeks and assimilated to meet their own needs. Most likely the original inhabitants of Rome were indo-european migraters who settled there and perhaps had a leader named Romulus. New evidence is found all the time, so the theory changes from time to time.

As I said....Indo-European people, I admit my Pagan mythology is HIGHLY un believable just like the bible. But the Aeneid is a great story...written by Virigl to expand Roman Patorism.

My major theory would have to be this.

Maybe about 2,000 BC the orginal Romans cmaes down from the area of the PO river valley and settled on the Tiber bringing vast herds of sheep with them and begining to grow grain. Supposadly the city was techinacally founded in 753 B.C but that could be compleate Myth as well Romulus and Remus might not have existed at all. And "Aeneas" could be just an Indo-European farmer that Virgil made big to make the legend seem more real. And oviosuly the Greek infuluence is from the cities to the south of Roma.

I am not a religious fanatic and I believe more in our science then anything else but I won't rule the Aeneid out of mind being ignorant of that is preety bad to. Mix of science and religion is always good. :P

Zeke

...and perhaps had a leader named Romulus.

The only problem with Romulus is his name, it means "little Roman." One theory is the story of Romulus and Remus was about to groups on the Tiber who fought, one of which was defeated, and finally assimilated.

As far as the Aenied goes , what evidence is there to show proto-Roman or Latin settlement to the north indicating a migration from northern europe?

About the hair colour of the Romans and Italians...Augustus had blonde hair and didn't Sulla also? I don't believe that the Romans could have come from the Moors....Romans are Whites for crying out loud!

The Sicilians are darker because they were invaded by the Arabs in the Dark Ages and some mixing did occur.

But if you look at the statues of the Romans, they are classicaly European, and I believe they were mostly descendants of the Greeks. Their features seem very refined and I think the idea that they are descended from Moors is plain rubbish. Look how close Epirus (Albania) was to Italy? Albanians are still flocking over in droves, so I think in the past it would have also been a logical route because of the short distance.

There are many theories as to where the Romans were descended from - one article I have read in a History magazine suggested they were descended from the Moors!

With their dark hair and eyes I can see why that theory was suggested!

Your thoughts please?

Many theories were made concerning Etruscans as well; they could have been Celts, they could have simply been Villanovans..OR, as many people think, they could have just been

There was a lot of mixing of various Mediterranean peoples going on, and then Indo-Europeans invaded. So, they're probably a mix of a lot of people.

The Romans themselves may have partially been aware of this as their own foundation mythology recounts how various peoples blended together to form the city of the seven hills.

Lex, you do though have many members of the Scipii gens that were black. As it seems odd how racist the west was, and still is in many places, but the Romans thought nothing of it. If you are a Roman, then whatever your skin color you were a roman. Wish that thought would have survived Rome's fall.

Guest spartacus

Thats right PM ! Lex was to quick to dismiss the black gene in Italians, according to a Professors research ( BBC History Mag), it started in sicily then spread into Southern Italy, he thinks from the Moors but his findings are not conclusive!

Lex, you do though have many members of the Scipii gens that were black.

That's rubbish. Have you looked at Roman sculptures, busts, and mosaics? They all depict whites.

And anyway, Greece is closer to Italy than Africa is. The Greeks don't mention a race of dark skinned Africans living in Italy! What evidence does this Professor have? And like I said, the busts of Roman Emperors depict faces that are classicaly European.