UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Zeke

Dig, March, Dig, March

When the Romans marched....how many miles do you estimate a Legionare could do in one day?

And is it true that at the end everyone Roman would help build the camp or was their a company of enginners that did that?

I find it quite intresting that Romans could do this after marching all day in the hot sun or the blinding rain.

Sorry about spelling,

Zeke

It really depends on the terrain. On good roads, 20 miles with equipment.

I'm not sure about the encamping. I would say they all helped as it is the most efficient.

Yes 20-25 miles was the norm. All the roman troops would help build the camp. Building a camp involved several different chores though. Piquets would be posted, possibly patroling also, foraging for food would be undertaken, as well as the building of the camp itself.

technically it is possible , we done it many times when i

work in a logging company , but the road or pathway

terrain is already existing , it is different when the way

are blocked by bush , grass or small trees or plants.

in virgin forest , a 100 meter could take you one hour.

a 100 meter hill in 45 degree could take you one hour.

my comment is base on my experience while working.

but in military march , like the Roman who are highly

organizational , the slowest unit dictate the pace.

and logistically it is the right march.

the food in the heavy mobile cart will dictate the march.

Also remember, it's always easier to be in the head of the column when dealing with unpaved/wilderness areas than in the train; esp. if the ground is softened or too dry (slogging through deep mud churned by units in front or sucking in dust clouds kicked up by the van). That's why you rotate units in marching order.

The forward units would be marching for a shorter period of time than the back of the train, so they could be employed for work details sooner and longer than the rest. Details of day-to-day life are what bring history to life for me.

To pass 20 miles per day it is good result, it was usually not more than 15 miles, construction of camp occupied a lot of time. Should a speed of march had the mean, and the locality was complex to find materials for construction of the camp it was not possible, each legionary had been carried on himself " a particle" of the camp. Having stopped on a halt, each legionary put the pale on the place, and thus, itself process constructions occupied less time. In usual conditions, the camp was prepared by engineers who were more mobile than other militarity units. But there were cases when the army on a march passed up to 40 miles per day. There was no transport in these cases.

the normal march is 6 to 8 hours,

and the remaining 4 to 6 hours are for building camp.

actually the advance engineer scout determine

the terrain and the distance ,

relative to the basic minimum requirement .

Everyone Helped. The legionares had to drop their shields and helmets to work on the camp but were ordered under pain of death to keep their swords on. The idea was that even if the army was tied down building, they still could defend themselves against enemy attacks against the camp

cant march 55 miles in 1 day. if you started at 6 am and ended at 6 pm, thats 12 hours and thats moving at 4.5 miles per hour whereas marching 25 miles in that same period is 2.1 miles per hour. more than double their speed. with the primitive shoes, roads and living off marching rations. physically impossible.

less to carry means less perpared. besides, what would you give up? your armor? food? clothing/accessories? all nesecities. a 6 to 8 hour march is rather short. in the middle of summer, the sun rises at around 7 or so and sets close to 9 pm. if leaving at 6:30 and ending 6 hours later is 12:30 which leaves 9 hours. probably more of an 8-10 hour march.

can't march 55 miles in 1 day. if you started at 6 am and ended at 6 pm, thats 12 hours and thats moving at 4.5 miles per hour whereas marching 25 miles in that same period is 2.1 miles per hour. more than double their speed. with the primitive shoes, roads and living off marching rations. physically impossible.

less to carry means less perpared. besides, what would you give up? your armor? food? clothing/accessories? all nesecities. a 6 to 8 hour march is rather short. in the middle of summer, the sun rises at around 7 or so and sets close to 9 pm. if leaving at 6:30 and ending 6 hours later is 12:30 which leaves 9 hours. probably more of an 8-10 hour march.

You think if they had less to carry they would march 50 miles?

Zeke

here is my simple answer.

The legion are train to a normal March of 25 mile on 5 hours, and fours hours running in training.

In this march the baggage train can catch up the men.

In case of emergency,they wake up in the middle of the night, to begin march.

and stop at 1 p.m. so it 12 hours. and of course without the baggage train.

the Legioner normally have it's own food for 15 days in the soldier bag.

so in effect,it is almost the same as normal march, but only longer time, around 12 hours.

without the baggage train for longer time, it will catch up later after a few days.

the legioner eats twice than he normally eat, so he have food for 1 weeks.

But of course, it is normally done on terrain, the Roman already know or well verse.

The roads are already existing.