UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Thermenmuseum CORIOVALLVM

Macerinus

Salve everyone,

Today I decided to take my parents to a Roman Museum...

....This was the Thermenmuseum in Heerlen (Coriovallum), the Netherlands.

Coriovallum was situated on a crossing of two important roads, one running from Gesoriacum to Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium and the other from Colonia Ulpia Traiana to Augusta Trevorum.

Due to this location it was sometimes used as an army base and a bathing house was build.

This bathing house is the core of the museum.

The ruins where discovered in 1940, but due to a lack of time (there was a war on) the excavation didn't start until the 70's. It was then decided to build a roof over the ruins to better preserve it.

In the following years it expanded with all kinds of interesting finds and artifacts.

I thought it was a very descend, though small, entertaining educative museum, very worth the entrance fee of only ?6,50! (Euro's!, the forum doesn't recognize a euro sign :blink:)

I uploaded a few pictures to Picasa, and in the following days I'll add a few more...

Thermenmuseum Coriovallum album

CORIOVALVM3.png

The Baths as they are now

CORIOVALVM7.png

The bath house as it once was....

Next museum on the planning is the Gallo-Roman museum in Tongeren (Atuatuca Tongrorum)

Cheers,

Macerinus

Edited by Macerinus

I visited the Gallo-Roman museum in Tongeren some years ago when I was still living in Belgium. It was interesting! Since then it's been renovated so it should be even better now. Also, there are quite a few burial mounds - dating back, I believe, to Celtic times - still visible in the flat surrounding countryside.

Oh and make sure you don't miss the Ambiorix statue on the main square. ;)

Ambiorix.jpg