UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Emperors

Winterhaze13

Who is the greatest Roman emperor?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest Roman emperor?

• Hadrian
    • Augustus (Octavian)
    • Marcus Aurelius
    • Trajan
    • Septimius Severus
    • Tiberius
    • Nerva
    • Claudius
    • Constantine
    • Other

Certainly possible. Octavian was no great defender of human life. He learned from Caesar's mistakes and eliminated opposition by any means necessary. It has long assumed that he was directly responsible for the death of Caesarion (son of Caesar and Cleopatra) so it wouldn't be completely ridiculous for him to be directly involved in the death of Cleopatra.

The common story of Antony and Cleopatra killing themselves in some sort of heartbroken frenzy of love and passion is ridiculous. Cleopatra certainly attempted to negotiate a better fate with Octavian, but when she saw it was futile, I still think she took her own life. If she hadn't though, I'm convinced that Octavian would have. Either way, the result is the same and the 'truth' of that particular piece of history becomes secondary to that result.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

(moved from Legion folder to main folder)

I think Octavian wouldn't have killed her until *after* he paraded her through the streets of Rome. Which makes me believe the proud queen killed herself to avoid the humiliation.

Honestly I think this whole episode with Cleopatra demonstrates his character in a nutshell. Caesar and Antony fall prey to Cleopatra's charms, but Octavian is immune to her charms. Either he had an iron will and clarity of purpose, or else the rumors he was more interested in men than women held some truth. Or perhaps it was a bit of both.

• 5 months later...

Trajan was defiantly my favorite of all the Emperor

I voted for the "Optimus Princeps", Trajan, for his victories over the Dacians and the Parthians. I have to agree with Primus Pilus, as i am an admirer of Vespasianus as well, he was an unassuming Emperor who has my complete admiration for his great deeds.

Everyone's already expressed my opinion on Octavian, so i wont re-iterate it.

It's a pity this is an Imperial Rome discussion, Heraclius is one of the most unrecognised and uncelebrated Emperors of Later roman history. But i don't want to spark a discussion on it, i was just saying :)

Without the church the western empire may not have slid into decline as fast as it did. Constantine wasn't really a Christian, he called himself one but the demograph of mace weilding mass murderer suits him better. I don't have any gripes with Constantine by the way, just making a point.

Augustus and Aurelian get my votes. The creator and the restorer.

The greatest: Octavian/Augustus without question. But not just the greatest Emperor or even the greatest Roman. As recently noted in other strings, Augustus is considered by many to be history's greatest statesman, period. In terms of practical impact and consequence I tend to agree.

As for the last speculation (Octavian killing Cleopatra), I am not sure how that would make a whit of difference. Obviously Antony had to go -- why repeat Brutus' fundamental error (of letting Antony live). But I am sure Octavian would have very much preferred that Cleopatra survive, at least long enough to be paraded as the most exotic trophy in his triumph.

It always makes me sad to see in a poll about the greatest emperor the name "Antonius Pius" not even mentioned...

He might not been the greatest emperor in terms of military victories, however he was truly one of the best leader/administrator the world has ever seen...

regards

viggen

• 5 months later...
I am, however, a great admire of Vespasian. He re-established solid imperial control in the waning days of the Julio Claudians, and before the system could truly devolve.

I agree. Yes he might have been just a party animal to some and is known for his neglicting of empire matters, but when it came to the big picture, as you have described above, if it wasnt for him the fall of the empire might have come much sooner than it did.

Constantine (obviously from my username) "THE GREAT." Hey, without him, the Church wouldn't officially exist or get aid, which the Church is the last vestige of Roman Culture. And without the Church, we wouldn't really be Western would we.

Some say he couldnt have done it without the spear of destiny......Actually its just me saying that. ;)

It's a pity this is an Imperial Rome discussion, Heraclius is one of the most unrecognised and uncelebrated Emperors of Later roman history. But i don't want to spark a discussion on it, i was just saying :huh:

I agree. Heraclius brought the empire back from the brink of utter destruction and completely neutralized Persia as a threat.

Other emperors I think are good (I can't exactly say which one was "the best") wwould be Augustus for the order and stability he created, Diocletian (except for the horrible Great Persecution) who put an end to the vicious third century cycle and brough about a good measure of order, Constantine for the foundation of Constantinople and ending the Christian persecution, and Justinian for creating the extremely influential Corpus Juris Civilis, and bringing back Roman rule for some time to parts of the West. I'll also add Julian. Though I don't agree with his religious programs, I do think that that he would have been a great emperor in other areas if he would have lived longer.