UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Winterhaze13

Roman Emperors

Who is the greatest Roman emperor?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest Roman emperor?

• Hadrian
    • Augustus (Octavian)
    • Marcus Aurelius
    • Trajan
    • Septimius Severus
    • Tiberius
    • Nerva
    • Claudius
    • Constantine
    • Other

In this thread I hope to discuss the greatest Roman Emperors. You should take into account their foriegn and domestic successes. Also, please note that I will not include Julius Caesar because he was never truly an emperor and this thread will not include Emperors from the Byzantine period.

Without Augustus, the 'Empire' would've continued to unravel into split factions and petty kingdoms (in my opinion). By virtue of restoring the empire, alone, he stands as the greatest. Adding in his many social, legal and military reforms, as well as building projects and advancement of the arts, there is no contest.

I am, however, a great admire of Vespasian. He re-established solid imperial control in the waning days of the Julio Claudians, and before the system could truly devolve.

Tarjan is the best.....being the first non-Italian born citizen of the empire to become emperor for expanding the empire to its greatest boundries and for bringing econmoic prosperity throughout the empire.

Zeke

Hadrian and Trajan.I think, they could make a single whole. At Trajan Rome has achieved blossoming, but without Adrian would not be Trajan.

For me, it's a toss between Augustus and Claudius. Augustus really established and secured the empire and its structure for other generations to come. Whereas Claudius was an unassuming man, who no one would have thought of due to his disabilities. Yet despite the way he was treated, he wasn't a vengeful man as such. Even, apparently, quite gentle and polite (as far as roman emperors are concerned). His people did love him, and he was good at domestic affairs, as well as external. As he did really conquer Britania.

But i think I'll have to go Augustus on this one. For the reasons aleady stated. If it wasn't for him, men like Claudius wouldn't have an empire in the first place.

Septimius Severus, no doubt. He restored order and brought in military success when Rome was really beginning to decline.

I voted for Augustus because many historians claim that Roman power was at its zenith under his leadership. Also, other historians argue that the decline of Rome began with his death. But for those two reasons I vote for Octavian.

i say trajan or as his friends called his ole "parthicus" (he conquered parthia). He set the empire bakc on his feet. Good milatary vistories plus he came after some bad ones. well not directly... hell now i am all befuggled... i should now be doing this now... i'll imput when i feel better.

Guest Scanderbeg

Augustus. He restored order to Rome after so many years of civil war and confusion.

Followed second by the "Philosophical Emperor" Marcus Aurelius ofcourse. Between the plague and the troubles in the east, this man was a marvelous emperor. Gained great victories and did his best not to let the problems of his family life interfere.

for founding the Empire and stopping the rot - Augustus

for working well within the existing framework, and for lacking any hint of despotism - Antoninus Pius. - Antoninus' famous successor Marcus Aurelius paid this tribute to him: 'Remember his qualities, so that when your last hour comes your conscience may be as clear as his.' (Roman Empire.net)

Augustos,great leadership and making the Empire work.L

Just for some of you to consider. I saw a program on the Discover channel that suggests that Octavian murdered Cleopatra, instead of the widely held belief that she killed herself. She had had a son with Julius Caesar and Octavian felt that Cleopatra and her son would prevet him from becoming emperor. What do you guys thing? Is it possible?